Trout Fishing -- Leaburg Lake

B
bballer3
Hey guys ~

Pretty new to fishing in general but my pops and I are gonna head somewhere to get some trout fishing in. I have read that leaburg lake is doing pretty well right now, does anyone have some other suggestions for a place to go (doesn't matter where) that would be good for some trout fishing? I don't know too much about which/what lakes/ponds are popular right now but have been reading a lot

P.S. -- I have a raft that i will be using and will be using worms/power bait. anything wrong with that?

any other suggestions about what to use etc. would greatly help out this new fisherman!!

Thank you all in advance!

B
bballer3
and is a good place to camp?

troutdude
troutdude
Don't put your raft in on the South Side of Leaburg Lake. You'll find yourself pushed downstream to the dam in no time flat and in trouble. But, the north side (along the highway), or the middle should be fine. However, I don't think there's any camp spots there.

For better camping and fishing, drive up to Carmen Reservoir. Don't get caught in the current there too, but all of the rest of the lake is fine. Use Green or Black Woolly Buggers if you've got 'em...you won't keep the fish OFF of your hooks. But, worms/ PB work too.

18406ej
18406ej
Welcome to OFF! What area in general are you looking to fish/camp at? Eugene, Salem, Portland? Let us know and I am sure lots of people will chime in.

B
bballer3
Thanks for the reply guys! I live in beaverton and i am not wanting to travel anymore than 2.5 hours away from the area to go fishing/camping. I'm just wanting to get AWAY from the portland/beaverton area and fish/camp at the same place or somewhere close to eachother.

I guess leaburg is out of the question since there are no camping around there... i havent heard of carmen resovoir though, is there good trout fishing there and some camp places to camp?

thanks again everyone, please feel free to keep chiming in! thanks again!

Dustin

troutdude
troutdude
bballer3 said:
i havent heard of carmen resovoir though, is there good trout fishing there and some camp places to camp?

Why would I suggest it, if it wasn't a good place to camp and fish?

B
bballer3
troutdude said:
Why would I suggest it, if it wasn't a good place to camp and fish?

haha, sorry, didn't mean to sound like that. are there any parts of the reservoir that are better to focus on than others as far as fishing goes?

B
bballer3
and yeah, i got some wooly buggers. Should I have a certain size? I haven't really used fly's before, since they dont go out very far (when you cast) do you just leave them on the top of the water and troll away in the raft?

Thanks again!

troutdude
troutdude
No problem. I would concentrate your efforts, along the northern shoreline about 50 - 100' from shore. But there are some pockets more out in the middle that you'll discover too. Most days, you can see the bottom, even in the deeper pockets. Thus, you'll spot the fish too.

Use one of these bobbers (link below) and about 4' feet of leader to the bugger. Also crimp on a small BB sized split shot about 12 - 18" above your bugger. And "troll" SLOWLY, and then go slower.

B
bballer3
great! thanks for the info! i heard its great to camp near the dam at the bank. is that the northern shoreline? also, you know of any kind of maps of this lake that i could use? -- sorry for all the questions, but i really appreciate it! heading out tomorrow :D

B
bballer3
also, do you know if it was stocked recently? just don't want to go and not any ANY bites! haha

troutdude
troutdude
First a WORD (if you use a boat, toon, canoe, etc)...NO MOTORS OF ANY KIND...not even electric are allowed at all. I found out the hard way once, but we got the citation overturned in court. (That's for another thread).

Secondly, you can call this number to confirm any stocking: 971.673.6000.

Thirdly, I do NOT think that you can camp by the dam. But, maybe that has changed. It has been 3 - 5 years since I have been there. And the dam is on the north side. The only campground that I am aware of is above the lake. There is a trail that follows the Mac and isn't long. But, it there are STEEP drop OFF's; so keep ahold of any kids.

BTW, this lake is fed by Clear Lake just above it. These are the headwaters of the Mac. The water is ICE cold. So, please do be careful if you are in the water in any fashion.

In addition to stocked bows, you will also find small and wild brookies and native cutts too. I have seen a few bows that were 16 - 18 inches. And there's an occasional brookie near that range too. Most of the fish are smaller however.

Here is a really good satellite image. I would concentrate--but in no way limit--your efforts on or near both sides of the "point" on the north shoreline. Power Eggs OFF of the bottom will work well. The green are is just shallow water. Working the deeper water on each side is your best bet.

B
bballer3
my Oregon fishing book (from last year) says there is a nice camping site on the north end

B
bballer3
bballer3 said:
my Oregon fishing book (from last year) says there is a nice camping site on the north end

which side of the lake is the trail head for the camp ground?

troutdude
troutdude
I think that the campground is accessible only from the Mac Hwy...the south side, there should be a trailhead up there that leads down to Carmen.

IDK where that n. side spot is, that's mentioned in your book.

troutdude
troutdude
I think that the campground is accessible only from the Mac Hwy...the south side, there should be a trailhead up there that leads down to Carmen.

IDK where that n. side spot is, that's mentioned in your book.

B
bballer3
okay, thanks for the info. are there signs and stuff directing you where the campgrounds kind of are?