Trout fishing 1-2 hours of Eugene

L
legalfisherman
Hey! New to this forum and new to fly fishing as well - many of the posts seem helpful. I've been looking at some places to catch and keep trout for this upcoming weekend, and I'm having a hard time narrowing down. Ideal location is somewhere I can fly fish from the bank, and my buddy can spin cast with bait, which narrows down the options.

Thinking about the Foster/Green Peter/Quartzville Creek area, or going up to Clear Lake. Wondering if hatchery rainbows make it to Elijah Bristow as well.

Might be a tall order, but does anyone know where the fishing would be best for trout?

Thanks,
Noah

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF; glad to have ya.

Unfortunately tomorrow is the last day of trout season, in nearly all of our streams (both inland and coastal). So it's a "lake thing" from Friday onward. Until the season re-opens next Spring.

However Alton Baker Canal is open all year. Bait is allowed (and it can be fly fished as well from the bank). Two rods are also allowed as long as you have the validation stamp, with your standard angling license.

You could also try Carmen Reservoir, which is just below Clear Lake. At the headwaters of the Mac. I've had 60+ fish days (all C & R) there with Woolly Buggers and / or Teeny Nymphs. I was out scooting around in a tube. But you should be able to fly fish near the bridge--and along the northern shoreline--with good results. Brown, Olive Green, and Black worked best for me.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Reactions: legalfisherman and 4labs
4labs
4labs
Think about Dorena.
A big plant 2weeks ago and res is down. Start out at baker bay ramp and walk towards the dam or go across to the opposite side and walk the shore line. Fly fishing probably wont work but power bait and casting a large plug or spoon might. Ramp is too low for me but a drift boat would work or small alum or better yet a kayak also consider Hills Creek.

Reactions: legalfisherman and troutdude
L
legalfisherman
Great suggestions, thank you both. Re: end of trout season, it did look like the Exceptions to the Willamette Zone had a fair number of streams listed (Quartzville, Middle Fork of Willamette) are open throughout the year in some stretches - do you think my luck would just be better off in these lakes/reservoirs anyway?

troutdude
troutdude
Quartzville is open all year? Who knew? Good bet for either fly fishing or for using bait. Mid Fork Willy, is fly only (but a lot of pees like it for exactly that reason).

P.S. God bless you for looking up those streams, for yourself! Far too many are too lazy to do that.

Reactions: legalfisherman
L
legalfisherman
troutdude said:
Quartzville is open all year? Who knew? Good bet for either fly fishing or for using bait. Mid Fork Willy, is fly only (but a lot of pees like it for exactly that reason).

P.S. God bless you for looking up those streams, for yourself! Far too many are too lazy to do that.
Hahaha I'm a law student, so reading fishing regulations feels like a treat

S
stryker1171
FYI. Carmen Reservoir is closed until April 2021. There are sinkhole concerns, and the reservoir has been drawn down almost completely until the U.S. Dept of Energy can assess and repair. Sucks too...this is one of my absolute favorite spots.

• Wow
Reactions: troutdude