Trout, catch and release?

T
tdocta
Just wondering if the trout are catch and release this time of year, specifically by spruce run campground. thanks for an info.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I don't have the regs book in front of me,but I bet you can find your info online starting at Oregon.gov Home Page . If I didn't have such a miserable cold right now I would be more helpful...lol hope it helps get you started.

Last edited:
O
OnTheFly
Trout will close in most if not all streams until next season but lakes remain open all year.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Not all lakes are open year round. Some close to fishing Oct. 31st

O
OnTheFly
Throbbit _Shane said:
Not all lakes are open year round. Some close to fishing Oct. 31st
Roger that. Always good to check regs. Reservoirs may close the gates for the season but mountain lakes remain open. Nature closes most of those lakes with mile high snow.:)

S
Spydeyrch
So say that the lake/river/stream closes Oct. 31 per the regs. Does that mean c&r too? As in it is closed completely, no ifs, ands, buts, and c&r?

-Spydey

O
OnTheFly
Yeah that's pretty much it. No fishing period. For instance, if they caught you fishing, let's say the Fall River in Central Oregon, you'd be run out by your ear.

S
Spydeyrch
So then what about rivers that have steelhead, salmon, and trout? The trout fishing would be closed, in general Oct 31st. But if I remember, steelhead fishing is pretty much year-round in most areas. What if I am fishing on a river going for steelhead/salmon but there are trout located there too? Obviously it would be kind of noticeable that one would be fishing for steelhead/salmon based upon their gear/hardware, but there is that gray area where I wouldn't feel comfortable. I would hate to get fined for something that I wasn't doing! :-( Do you see what I mean?

I was up on the Sandy a few weeks back with two friends and we were fishing for salmon. Our gear was specifically for Salmon/steelhead. But my friend caught a nice sized trout on his gear. The trout shook free before it was even landed. But it was still hooked for a while. That is just an example.

I know that it might seem that I am trying to find "loop-holes", but I am not. I just like my stuff black and white so that I know what I am doing and what I cannot do. Have trout off limits on a stream where salmon/steelhead are fair game really makes it gray in my book. And I don't like that.

-Spydey

S
Spydeyrch
So then what about rivers that have steelhead, salmon, and trout? The trout fishing would be closed, in general Oct 31st. But if I remember, steelhead fishing is pretty much year-round in most areas. What if I am fishing on a river going for steelhead/salmon but there are trout located there too? Obviously it would be kind of noticeable that one would be fishing for steelhead/salmon based upon their gear/hardware, but there is that gray area where I wouldn't feel comfortable. I would hate to get fined for something that I wasn't doing! :-( Do you see what I mean?

I was up on the Sandy a few weeks back with two friends and we were fishing for salmon. Our gear was specifically for Salmon/steelhead. But my friend caught a nice sized trout on his gear. The trout shook free before it was even landed. But it was still hooked for a while. That is just an example.

I know that it might seem that I am trying to find "loop-holes", but I am not. I just like my stuff black and white so that I know what I am doing and what I cannot do. Have trout off limits on a stream where salmon/steelhead are fair game really makes it gray in my book. And I don't like that. :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::(:(:(:(:think::think::think::think::think:

-Spydey

S
Spydeyrch
Sorry, I don't know why or how, that last post was double posted. It shouldn't have done that.

-Spydey

B
bigsteel
Spydeyrch said:

I know that it might seem that I am trying to find "loop-holes", but I am not. I just like my stuff black and white so that I know what I am doing and what I cannot do. Have trout off limits on a stream where salmon/steelhead are fair game really makes it gray in my book. And I don't like that. :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::(:(:(:(:think::think::think::think::think:

-Spydey
If your fishing for salmon or steelhead then dont worry about trout,for instance if your out there fly fishing for steelhead and you have on a size 18 mide pattern,chances are youll be ticketed..in the regs it says you have to have a certian gap on your hook shank and/or hook size i believe.

S
Spydeyrch
bigsteel said:
If your fishing for salmon or steelhead then dont worry about trout,for instance if your out there fly fishing for steelhead and you have on a size 18 mide pattern,chances are youll be ticketed..in the regs it says you have to have a certian gap on your hook shank and/or hook size i believe.

Ok, perfect. Thanks for that little piece of info.

-Spydey