Trout around Portland?

J
jpjule
I am fairly new to the area and would like to know where to go for trout around PDX. I prefer to fish rivers and not stocked ponds. I have fished west salish a few times and didn't dig it at all. Are there any trout in the Sandy, Clack or Willie? I have fallen in love with the Wilson but it takes a good two hours or more, depending on trafic, round trip to get there which makes it tough to get too very often. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

K
kornphlake
The best fishing will be in the reservoirs, Trillium, Clear lake, Harriet, Timothy, Promontory/North Fork, Faraday and a hand full of high mountain lakes in the Rock Lakes area. I've tried catching trout in the Clackamas, Sandy and Willamette but never had as much luck as in the reservoirs, I know people do catch trout and other species in the rivers though, you just have to know where to go and what to cast. Earler this year people were posting photos of nice trout taken from the Mollala river, but I never did any research to find out where the holes are on the Mollala that were producing.

M
Mmfh
The North fork res. On the clackamas is full of trout. We were trolling twice up there in the last week and caught limit both times in a couple of hours.

Good Luck!

Mm

J
jpjule
Sadly I don't have a boat so trolling is out of the question for me. Where is North Fork Res.?

A
All Ford
North fork has some decent bank spots and also has boat rentals. We have had good luck there the last 3 trips out. I have caught a few nice fat trout on the upper Sandy this summer while hunting the summer steel. The sandy is catch and release below the Salmon river though.

J
jpjule
Hey there,
Thanks for all of the helpfull tips. A big THANKS to Mmfh and All Ford for the North Fork reccomendation. I went out there this afternoon and got my limit in no time. I couldn't keep the trout off of my lure. I only kept trout over 12" and got my limit in about an hour. I released about 15 fish that were in the 8" to 12" range. I was getting hits almost every cast. All were caught on a 1/8oz silver kastmaster. There were 10 or so other fisherpeople out there using powerbait and worms but they didn't seem to be seeing any action. I gave away the kastmaster I had on me to one fellow after I got my limit. Hopefully it served him as well as it served me. Once again, thank you for your pointers.

J
JASMINE
Nice work, and isn't the kastmaster great, i pretty much only use lures for trout since i C&R and it almost never fails, my favorite is when you show up and everyone is using bait and you start catching a few fish on the kastmasters and then they switch over.

J
jpjule
I love the kastmaster for both saltwater and freshwater fishing. I have caught many different varieties of fish on them from trout and bass to flounder and barracuda.

C
chris61182
JASMINE said:
Nice work, and isn't the kastmaster great, i pretty much only use lures for trout since i C&R and it almost never fails, my favorite is when you show up and everyone is using bait and you start catching a few fish on the kastmasters and then they switch over.

You've actually seen people switch over?! Where I fish I normally just get heckled as not knowing what I'm doing. Don't ask me why they think that makes any sense, but apparently they do.

J
jpjule
I haven't ever seen people switch over. I did give away my kastmaster yesterday to a guy that was using worms after I got my limit and was leaving. He tied it on, but I don't know how long he tossed it after I left. I did notice some people staring at me as I reeled 'em in (also the name of a great little dive bar on division st in portland) while they sat and watched their bobbers. Heckling the guy catching fish is just some jealousy issues.......

A
allford
Glad to hear you got into some fish! :) The trout out there seem to love silver.