troll'n 4 trout

F
fish_on!!!
I jus got my inflatable boat hookd up with an electric motor and was gonna take it to a lake and try troll'n 4 some trout but have no idea how? like if I need a diver of some sort, how far back do I run the lure / bait, how fast? pretty much the basics!

D
doublestrike
Trolling

Trolling

fish_on!!! said:
I jus got my inflatable boat hookd up with an electric motor and was gonna take it to a lake and try troll'n 4 some trout but have no idea how? like if I need a diver of some sort, how far back do I run the lure / bait, how fast? pretty much the basics!

Get yourself a few different rudder weights, 3/8 and 1/2 oz are what I use most, then you might look for Panther Martin Lake troll, or Vance's Little Slim Willie, or Ford Fender as attractants, then a small #16 treble hook if you use Power Bait (Rainbow or Rainbow Candy), or a #6 bait holder and use live nightcrawlers or Berkley Gulp Nightcrawler in the jar (3/4" piece). My sweet spot behind the boat is 72 feet. I am crazy and use 10# Hi-Viz yellow Power Pro braid to the weight and 6# mono for leaders behind the lure to the hook about 12 to 18 inches. Sometimes I will even use a Wedding-ring lure between the attractant and the hook. Always use a small ball-bearing swivel between the mainline and weight. the rudder weights have chain fore and aft. Also be very erratic with your boat, never go in a straight line and vary your speed.

Good luck.

H
Hawk
Sometimes i troll with one of my favorite lures, a deepdiving Rebel (wee r # f9376)(looks like a baby bass). I tie on to 12# mono UG ( at times use a barrel swivel & 3' of a lighter leader line). I also cast & retrieve this lure. Over the years i've c&r many bass & trout.

Happy fishin'............................:D:D:D

T
tnffishman
my favorite trolling method is a ford fender or a other blade troll with a wedding ring. attach a split shot or two, bait the wedding ring with a worm, or not, and let out not too far and BAM!!!

L
liquidplumber
fish_on!!! said:

A simple method is to tie your lure directly to your line 4#-6# After an hour of trolling you might need to untwist your line by removeing the lure and letting your line back out for a couple minutes.If your are using spinners you need to troll slowly.If you are using kastmasters or rapalas you need to troll fast.You should vary your speed .Make some slow turns as sometimes a fish will be following it and when it looks like its getting away they will smack it.With this method you will be fishing the top 10-15 ft which is usually best in the am=pm.Try the big iron (flashers etc) during the middle of the day.I usually run 200 ft back when toplineing.Some times you will find a spot that you keep getting fish each time you pass over it,Thats when I just sit there and cast.Hope this helps good luck.

Troutski
Troutski
Where are you planning on going ?

Where are you planning on going ?

If you know the body of water you will be at maybe I could be of some help on what is hot and not....

Chuck

G
grampa ron
trout trolling

trout trolling

Hi,
In case you don't know. My understanding is, if you have a motor of any kind, you need to register the boat and get numbers for it. You could get a ticket.

C
chrishophoto
fish_on!!! said:

I have had had good luck trolling lakes on my canoe using a small floating Rappala with a small split shot a couple of feet up the line.

-C

F
fish_4_all
My favorite trolling lure is an olive streamer fly on 6 lb. test and a float of some kind. I put out about 8-10 feet of leader past the float and troll away. Float is there to keep the fly shallow. My other go to is a wedding ring with a piece of night crawler. Next it is a piece of crawler with a power egg above the hook.

Only other thing I have had much luck with trolling was a jointed Rapala. Seems to catch fewer fish but they are more often than not the larger fish of the day.

S
SNDSLGR
Simple and effective....

*Attatch about 4' of leader to a barrel swivel and tie other end to mainline. (this prevents your mainline from getting all twisted up).

* Pinch on a couple of pea sized split shot onto the mainline just above the swivel.

*I have GREAT success doing this with small needlefish, usually gold with orage tip. Troll slow and turn fairly sharp, and often... this will vary speed and make the lure irratic.

F
fish_on!!!
thanx and good looking out

I was told I didn't need get it registered and all that because the its jus a little 12 volt electric motor but I guess I better double check thank u grandpa Ron

Besides that got a good idea for my setup and jus bought about every thing I read on here that I could find so I'm pretty confident that I'm ready for my first time trolling. I plan on taking the boat maybe to hagg which would be a first too or maybe north fork res if its open. Thanx to all!!!

Last edited:
F
fish_on!!!

I was told I didn't need get it registered and all that because the its jus a little 12 volt electric motor but I guess I better double check thanks u grandpa Ron

Besides that got a good idea for my setup and jus bought about every thing I read on here that I could find so I'm pretty confident that I'm ready for my first time trolling. I plan on taking the boat maybe to hagg which would be a first too or maybe north fork res if its open. Thanx to all!!!

L
lowjack
grampa ron said:
Hi,
In case you don't know. My understanding is, if you have a motor of any kind, you need to register the boat and get numbers for it. You could get a ticket.

Electric trolling motors aren't included, only fuel driven engines. You don't need licensing for boats under 12', and you don't even need a boater's education card (it's for boats with motors over 10hp)

C
capblack
registering boats

registering boats

boats powered by ANY motor ( gas, electric, diesel, or corn whiskey ) must be titled and registered in Oregon regardless of length. Just looked it up on Boat Oregon website. a ticket could turn a good weekend into a bad one, and the sheriff is on the water. Got checked by them last weekend. Brian

Troutski
Troutski
What he said...

What he said...

Better listen...the fine will be very steep. Check the reg's

Chuck

K
kfallscody
capblack is correct, any boat which has any sort of motor on it requires registration. Not sure what the fine is but I am sure it is more than anybody wants to pay.. :)

T
Thuggin4Life
$97 for no registration. I bought a boat in febuary that had expired tags but the guy did the title transfer in january and it can take 60 days to get the tags. He told me he would send them to me when he got them. Turned out he never bought them. Go to your local boat shop or marina and look into it. They have a boaters book with all the regs.

G
Green_Tackle
I just registered my inflatable boat with a 30lb thrust electric motor. You DO have to register the boat, however, you do not need the boater safety card with the electric motor. Give 'em a call, they are very helpful and fast. . I got my registration within 2 days. Make sure you pick up the OR boating regs and read it through

As for trolling, I like to use a 3-way swivel with varying size weights on one end of about 3' of line and the other way goes to a high-quality swivel and then the lure of choice (2-4' leader). Lures I like to use are spinners (I use p.martin "big belly" spinners, Mepps aglias, and home-made spinners), kastmasters (gold, silver, and blue/silver), spoons (rainbow needlefish), and Gulp! minnows or Gulp! worms.

I try to avoid using lead or plastic, so, my trolling hardware varies from the standard hardware a bit. Plus I keep it relatively simple... after all, it's just an inflatable boat. I use Bioline Biodegradable fishing line. Typically 6-10LB mainline and to the weight (lighter than some folks for less water resistance) and 4-6LB for the leader. I typically use Eco Weights in either the bank sinkers (quick and easy) or I stack up the worm weights on top of a glass bead on top of a barrel swivel (less resistance and precise weight).

Without sophisticated equipment and hardware, my technique is to let out the line slowly while holding it between my fingers and pinching the line then letting go and then pinching it again so it's coming out about 1 foot at a time (more important to be consistent with each letting out than exactly one foot). I keep count. This allows me to control my depth relative to other times though I don't know what that depth is. But, I know when I'm catching fish I was "x ticks out" at some location and can get back there again on the next troll.

I troll in the slower speeds of my electric motor in zig-zags and S shapes. This will make the lure vary speeds and drop and change direction. I also give the rod tip a quick pull up and drop here and there.

Cheers,

Troutski
Troutski
Boaters card...

Boaters card...

"I just registered my inflatable boat with a 30lb thrust electric motor. You DO have to register the boat, however, you do not need the boater safety card with the electric motor. Give 'em a call, they are very helpful and fast. . I got my registration within 2 days. Make sure you pick up the OR boating regs and read it through"

It is not required but very necessary in my opinion. It makes the playing field equal...if you don't know what the power boat operators know; then you are at a real disadvantage. Any one on the water should know the rules, you make a mistake and you will pay dearly for it. Once someone is hurt or worse hind sight will kick your ass. It is not a tough test and the information is invaluable, it last a life time - never expires. Very cheap insurance..what is it like $30 bucks?

Chuck

F
fish_on!!!
thankx!!!!!!!!!!

thankx!!!!!!!!!!

Thankx to all real lucky yall warned me befor I went last week or else I definitly would of got a ticket sheriff was on the water doin his job and the trip was not ruined. With that money I saved not gettin a ticket I'm taken care of registerin me boat!thankx!!!!!