Trolling?

A

Ariel&Jared12

What's the best trolling motor for a river boat? My boyfriend &I are thinking about getting his Dad a trolling motor for his birthday in June.
:think:

C

capblack

more info, like type of boat, and type of water and species fished for.

D

Drew9870

Banned User
If you are trolling for Trout in lakes, I have had best luck basically ''downrigging'' a worm with a 1/8 or 1/4 slide sinker and a size 1-4 Gamakatsu with a 3ft, 6lb Maxima or P-Line Moss Green Leader. I have caught some big Rainbows out of Siltcoos, Munsel, and Woahink Lake (Coast Lakes) trolling an electric motor with gramps trying to find schools of Yellow Perch with this rig (big sea run Cutthroats as well). Keep it simple, you don't need a bunch of bling, bells, blades, Corvette bumpers, and aluminum foil, :lol:. Trout are generally used to chasing a bug down or a minnow.

Haha, sorry, I thought you were asking for info on trolling, but here you go anyways, :lol: :D.

Last edited:
A

Ariel&Jared12

more info, like type of boat, and type of water and species fished for.

It's a Fish Rite river boat but we always use it in lakes. In the lakes, we'll fish for Trout since his Dad doesn't like to fish for Bass. When in the river, we fish for Steelhead &Salmon (Not sure if trolling is used in the river or not). We've never trolled before but tried it for the first time over the weekend.

A

Ariel&Jared12

If you are trolling for Trout in lakes, I have had best luck basically ''downrigging'' a worm with a 1/8 or 1/4 slide sinker and a size 1-4 Gamakatsu with a 3ft, 6lb Maxima or P-Line Moss Green Leader. I have caught some big Rainbows out of Siltcoos, Munsel, and Woahink Lake (Coast Lakes) trolling an electric motor with gramps trying to find schools of Yellow Perch with this rig (big sea run Cutthroats as well). Keep it simple, you don't need a bunch of bling, bells, blades, Corvette bumpers, and aluminum foil, :lol:. Trout are generally used to chasing a bug down or a minnow.

Haha, sorry, I thought you were asking for info on trolling, but here you go anyways, :lol: :D.

So flashers aren't used? We trolled for the first time over the weekend with flashers, a wedding ring, &a worm. Only caught one little guy. But we are so new to it, we aren't sure where to troll (Such as how close to shore, etc.,)

D

Drew9870

Banned User
Wedding Rings aren't bad, I like red/red, but would still rather keep it down to a simple worm, you can actually run the wedding with the slide sinker so you can keep it down while you troll.

I have also caught Rainbows trolling small fur Crappie jigs, pretty much like a fly but weighted, tipped with worm sometimes.

H

Hawk

Howdy A&J :)

My boat is a Alumacraft Lunker 16 foot long, starboard helm (steering).

I use a Minnkota Edge 50 pound thrust (electric motor) bow mount foot control on my boat to troll for trout & fish the bank edges in lakes, ponds,etc for catch & release bass. Mine runs off a 12 volt battery. A transom mount motor costs less. Sometimes you can find a good used one on craigslist: houston classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

For the main motor on my boat i have a Nissan 40 hp.

Minnkota also sells a Riptide 55 pound thrust which is a 12 volt.

If your boat is 12 feet or so you may be able to use a lower thrust motor. Although, you don't want to go too small, on a motor.

Best of Luck with your choice. :)

Last edited:
J

JeannaJigs

You're gonna need a long shaft motor. You can go electric but you can run into problems with just an electric motor with a drift boat, drift boats become sailboats in the wind, and you might not have enough thrust with an electric, even if you went with a higher thrust such as a 55. I'd recommend a 6-9.9 horse long shaft 2 stroke.

C

capblack

You're gonna need a long shaft motor. You can go electric but you can run into problems with just an electric motor with a drift boat, drift boats become sailboats in the wind, and you might not have enough thrust with an electric, even if you went with a higher thrust such as a 55. I'd recommend a 6-9.9 horse long shaft 2 stroke.

x2 and ill add that if you decide to go with the electric, it wont do you any good on the rivers. id take jeannas advice and go with the longshaft 2 stroke, that way you could troll the lakes and buzz up the rivers

A

Ariel&Jared12

Wedding Rings aren't bad, I like red/red, but would still rather keep it down to a simple worm, you can actually run the wedding with the slide sinker so you can keep it down while you troll.

I have also caught Rainbows trolling small fur Crappie jigs, pretty much like a fly but weighted, tipped with worm sometimes.

Hmm... Good information! THANKS! :)

A

Ariel&Jared12

Thanks everyone for the recommendations... We'll be looking around.