Trolling Yaquina?

T
tbox
Haven't heard much about Yaquina bay lately. Are there any fish being caught?? I'll be out there this weekend dropping some crab traps, any suggestions on trolling for salmon? Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Thanks for any suggestions!
Tbox

V
VagrantAngler
It's closed for coho right now. As far as chinook go I don't know how anyones been doing. Stayed for a few days in Newport over looking the bay and didn't see much in the way of pressure. Might be that the other rivers are doing better and it's just not worth the effort. I really don't know it's
just kind of a guess.

Q
qwapaw
While you crab, why not give it a try and then give us a report when you get back. Always like to hear the true scoop. Dan

Irishrover
Irishrover
tbox said:
Haven't heard much about Yaquina bay lately. Are there any fish being caught?? I'll be out there this weekend dropping some crab traps, any suggestions on trolling for salmon? Hopefully the weather will cooperate. Thanks for any suggestions!
Tbox
I'm heading down there Friday for the weekend myself. I've heard that the best place to troll for chinook is from the big LNG tank, up river toward Toledo. I think I'll drop my pots and try to troll in that area on the incoming tide. Looks like herring or plugs is what they are usuing. I'm going to also try some of the spinners that I use on the Columbia. I've never fish this river or bay for chinook. Usually by this time I have pulled the boat out and either fish the Sandy or Columbia. I have also heard that both crabbing and the fishing is slow. High tide on Saturday is at noon which means it's a morning show. It should be fun anyway.

Last edited:
T
tbox
Thanks for the quick help. Will definitely report back and I hope its good news:pray:. Im not known for my salmon fishing skills so I appreciate all the advice I can get. Alsea/Waldport may be our day 2 (Sunday) if its slow. Should be a good time to get the hang of things.
Tbox

M
Mike123
Try spinners, cut plug herring, or sandshrimp.

W
wormosa
Mike123 said:
Try spinners, cut plug herring, or sandshrimp.
sandshrimp work pretty good? i was thinking about trying it on the siletz

M
Mike123
wormosa said:
sandshrimp work pretty good? i was thinking about trying it on the siletz

Yea if the water clarity is decent enough.. I think sandshrimp throw off UV...
Big spin N glow and big whole sandshrimp rigged on double hook set up.
Depending on where the fish are holding decides on what size dropper to use.
Back bounce behind boat a ways then let sit for a wee bit.

Last edited:
V
VagrantAngler
The Siletz was looking good ever time we drove over it hang out in Lincoln City. I wanted to hit it. Just couldn't convince my wife it was the best idea to spend the honeymoon fishing every day. There are so many great rivers out there that I really need to spend some time exploring this state.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Sitting down here in Newport right now at the South Beach Marina. The weather is great! The place looks a little slow compared to earlier this summer. I'll have to wait and see what tomorrow brings. Couple of shots of the marina and bridge. The boat is for sale and I kinda liked the name, but Mrs Irishrover said now way!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
M
Mike123
Irishrover said:
Sitting down here in Newport right now at the South Beach Marina. The weather is great! The place looks a little slow compared to earlier this summer. I'll have to wait and see what tomorrow brings.

It's POURING here in Lebanon! What gives? :lol:

Irishrover
Irishrover
Mike123 said:
It's POURING here in Lebanon! What gives? :lol:
Please keep it over there in the valley. It did rain on us after we left I-5, but just for a brief moment. Oregon has always been one crazy place with regard to weather!;)

Irishrover
Irishrover
OK it's morning here and the rains have found Newport. Time to get the rain gear on.;)

Irishrover
Irishrover
Started out the day by putting the crab pot in at the Green Gas Tank then trolled up river until the tide changed. Lots of silvers out there and they were jumping. A few guys caught some but but they were non hatchery fish and had to be released. No chinook caught. Crabbing was fair at best. Lots of folks out there but not lots of legal Dungeness. We moved our pots out past the bridge for an all night soak.

W
wormosa
Mike123 said:
Yea if the water clarity is decent enough.. I think sandshrimp throw off UV...
Big spin N glow and big whole sandshrimp rigged on double hook set up.
Depending on where the fish are holding decides on what size dropper to use.
Back bounce behind boat a ways then let sit for a wee bit.
hooking up the sandshrimp is the same salmon mooch set up for herring?

M
Mike123
wormosa said:
hooking up the sandshrimp is the same salmon mooch set up for herring?

The only way I've done this out of a boat is on anchor.. You need current.. so in or out going tide. But you'll want to slide a swivel up your mainline, then bead, then bead chain, then how much ever leader you want(2-5ft.) then your single or double hook rig w/bait loop for the shirmp.. I always try to hook them to where the head of the shrimp is facing downstream.

W
wormosa
ty for the info... i will try it that way

Irishrover
Irishrover
Back home in Sandy from Newport. The crabbing was fair the weather turned out great. We hit the Yaquina and trolled herring and Bob Toman style lures on the bottom. We were going for chinook but in the two day we tried we drew a blank. Some folks we catching non-hatchery silvers but I think they were running their gear high in the water. There are no hatchies that I know of on the Yaquina River so it make fishing interesting. There was also a ton of sea weed brought in by the tide. The trick was to avoid geting that junk on your line and to troll with the incoming tide that brings it in. Good times were has regardless!

T
tbox
Very nice weekend out there, my first time in the bay.. Ended up fishing Sunday. Lots of fish jumping, and sea weed on every drop. Got to play with a nice sized coho, and he let me win:dance:! Released it immediately and it swam safely and quickly with not a seal tooth near it! My girlfriend hooked up and got to play with something huge for a good 30 seconds before her fish took a heartbreaking boost and snapped her line. Tough getting the gear very deep, or weed free, so it was definitely a day of trial and error. They liked the silver Apex 30" behind a herring dodger, and a 4oz sliding dropper.. Headed back out to check the crab traps and we had LOTS of keepers so we headed for the beach to end a great weekend:D.

100_6025-1.jpg
this is the only picture of a fish before it got slipped back into the water
100_6027-1.jpg
100_5985.jpg

M
Mike123
Nice catch! Did you keep the one in the net? :think: