Trolling setup for trout

P
PTownAngler
I've been doing some trolling for trout lately and just bought a couple lake trolls (Ford Fenders, Beer cans etc) and I'm wondering what a good setup (rod n reel) would be to use the lake trolls. All my trout rods are Ultralight spinning setups and I have one light setup. I know I need a rod with more backbone but don't want to overdo it. Also does length matter or is that more personal preference? And I'm thinking a casting reel would probly be better? Thanks!

Last edited:
S
smoky
I troll with an ultra light just less weight and go slower. As for set up ive done best with a ford fender then a wedding ring which comes with the leader pre tied. Yoh can either fish it bait less or throw some power eggs on the hook.

bass
bass
I have not fished Hagg for a few weeks (my last posted report was June 20th) but I have done well each time out with just a 3-way swivel with a weight on the dropper and a 3-4' leader to a 1/24oz roostertail. I add a trailer hook to the roostertail and add 1/2 a nightcrawler. I always seem to be catching more than the other boats around me that are dragging tons of hardware. Just zig zag troll at about 1-1.2mph. The key each time out is to find the right depth. Last time I think I had my lures a bit deeper than 20' deep and I imagine the fish are even deeper now.

The water was really clear each time I fished, but I think that if the water becomes more off color then dodgers and lake trolls will definitely be helpful. I know that eventually Hagg does become more turbid (may be doing it already) once the water drops enough for the waves to pound against exposed clay.

P
PTownAngler
I just went to Fisherman's to pick up a few wedding rings and a Macks flash lite troll , I read that you can use the flash lite troll with an ultralight set up because it doesn't have the heavy drag the other types do, And I like that little Cleo idea Troutdude, I'm definitely going to try that. I also bought a new rod, I wasn't planning on it but when I went over and looked they had Berkeley Cherrywood HD rods on sale for 14.99. I got the 7 foot 6-14lb medium 1/8 - 3/4 oz. I just got it to try because it was so cheap but I think it's going to work good, hopefully it has enough backbone to pull the heavy lake trolls but not too much to erase the fight. Any rod and reel idea's would be nice. Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

M
mustardthetrout
Not sure if this helps anyone, but I've found that Ford Fenders and other lake trolls lose their effectiveness in really clear, shallow water. I've fished a couple alpine lakes where the trout have repeatedly shied away from the lake trolls but started biting when I removed them.

troutdude
troutdude
PTownAngler said:
And I like that little Cleo idea Troutdude, I'm definitely going to try that.

Gotta give the cred, to Sammy for that idea. I saw him doing it--in his videos--and it works! There's a LOT less drag too.

Low profile trolling / casting reels, and a casting rod, are much better IMO than spin rods for trolling. I love my Lamiglas fiberglass Koke rods, for flat lining. But, I would NOT use them with heavy Ford Fenders.

PK Yi
PK Yi
yea, I would use a spoon, any spoon instead of a ford fender because you get much less drag. here's a video of me trolling with a little cleo as a flasher.

[video=youtube;y9C_IKA3K-M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9C_IKA3K-M[/video]

D
digital0ne
I run an cheap combo rod setup with 10lb line. Tie on a snap swivel. Snap swivel to a swivel weight 1/4 oz. Light snubber for some play. Then to a Mack's wedding ring. Bait the wedding ring with a chunk of live worm bait, replace every 10 minutes.

I run one line with a red wedding ring, the other with a green. which ever gets more hits, I switch both over to that. This does the best at 10 or so feet, but you can go lower with a bit more weight. I make sure the line is about 30 feet behind the boat, and troll at lowest speed for my minn kota.

I have used the flashers from Ford Fenders to the Panther Martin version, still doing better with a simple wedding ring and worms.

This is a home made wedding ring with fluro 6lb line and red and yellow bead mix.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
M
montym
Way too complicated. The other day my wife set out in Olallie in a pedal boat with a friend of hers, carrying a rod rigged for fishing with power eggs off the bottom. She trolled with that, don't ask me how as I was not with her, and she landed one pretty fast. Another bite soon after that, and then she snagged and lost her only leader. I had told her she will not catch fish trolling with that set-up, I never heard the end of it.

Cheers
M

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
digital0ne said:
I run an cheap combo rod setup with 10lb line. Tie on a snap swivel. Snap swivel to a swivel weight 1/4 oz. Light snubber for some play. Then to a Mack's wedding ring. Bait the wedding ring with a chunk of live worm bait, replace every 10 minutes.

I run one line with a red wedding ring, the other with a green. which ever gets more hits, I switch both over to that. This does the best at 10 or so feet, but you can go lower with a bit more weight. I make sure the line is about 30 feet behind the boat, and troll at lowest speed for my minn kota.

I have used the flashers from Ford Fenders to the Panther Martin version, still doing better with a simple wedding ring and worms.

This is a home made wedding ring with fluro 6lb line and red and yellow bead mix.

Good luck

excellent! I also like to make or rebuild my Macs wedding rings but always use a double hook leader, I like these Crystal Basin Double Tied Leaders:

and also these Northwest Tackle Double Sickle Hook Leaders:

cheers, roger

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
Kewl. I re-tie my wedding rings, and add larger blades, with better line.

Roger, were do you get those Crystal Basin doubles? I would like to incorporate those too.

P.S. I don't use snubbers, for trout. I lost too many, trying that. But they are a must, for Kokes.

P
PTownAngler
So I ended up buying a new set up for trolling for trout. I bought the Okuma Celilo kokanee Pro Combo that comes with the Okuma Magda Pro 15DX line counter reel. Its 7 foot 4-10 1/8-3/4. Put some six pound chameleon on it. I really like the look and feel I think it's going to work perfect. I'm going to try it out tomorrow morning. I'm going to hit either Trillium lake or Timothy Lake with my pontoon. I plan on being on the water before the Sun rises. I'll probably end up going to Timothy. I'll definitely take some pics for a nice report when I get back

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

M
mustardthetrout
Good luck! I've never had much luck fishing Timothy so it would be great if you did well and let us know. Have fun out there!

D
digital0ne
76F2D7EC-23D1-4E94-812B-46C897B08CEA.jpeg
digital0ne;n483256 said:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/df/a5/50/d...ut-fishing.jpg

Good luck

Reposting because the image was removed. Found it one some random website after a google search

Last edited:
Reactions: troutdude