trolling question...

N
ninja2010
with springer season almost over... i'm getting desperate.

been out on the willy/sellwood couple of times... skunked both times. i trolled kwikies the first time, and herring this last saturday. the fishfinder tells me i'm in the zone, but there were no takers.

i checked my kwikies to make sure they're tracking true, and i also checked my herrings to make sure they're rolling. and i've got a diver to bring the lures/bait down to the zone.

i'm trolling real slooooow. and i'm usually in the 24-35' depths, coz that's what the fishfinder tells me the fish are.

question: should i be trolling upriver, downriver, backtrolling, or what?????

and what the heck am i still doing wrong?

any thoughts/advice, anyone?

T
The Nothing
only out twice and no fish? not too bad, i know people that have gotten nothing all season...

Troll the downhill, keep the droppers short (12-18" seems to have been about right so far), and have patience. There haven't been a lot of fish this year...

C
cchinook
ninja2010

ninja2010

When you say the springer run is almost over I do not know how to convince you that it has not even started - I do not get serious until May 15 on the Clack. At McIver Park , Barb's Hole and the Gauge Hole , just below the dam , I have a boat and I have been trolling to no avail . Bobber and a shrimp cocktail. 25 yrs. of dragging them out of there . Oh well , more for me I guess . When I here anglers complain they are not landing nooks I just do not know what to say anymore . Last year I worked 3 rivers -the Clack. , the Wilson and Bonnie at the Tanner Creek area . I brought home about 250 lbs. of fish , a slow year for me . This is while working full time , 4 more yrs. and I will be out there a lot more . Work with me here people ! Before I croak and leave all my " fishing secrets " to the my cat . It is not that hard.

N
ninja2010
charles, you are very encouraging...

i meant the springer season for the columbia and willamette. i know the real action has barely even begun. and i know you are quite the salmon angler. i'm hoping to someday hop on your boat and fish the tribs... maybe???

right now, i just want to get some from the willy coz it's only 10 minutes from where i live. in may, i'll be toting my toon or some inflatable and will be heading up the tribs.

i'm just a wee bit anxious because i've been spoiled in all my years fishing warmwater critters. i've never been sooooo skunked for sooooo long. steelies and salmon just elude me...

Last edited:
J
just1nook
Ninja, you might want to use a dropper, 4-8 oz instead of a diver to make sure you're on bottom. I'm no expert but thats what people i fish with use.

Keep at it I know there's one with your name on it.

N
ninja2010
thanks, j1n...

i'd like to find that sucker with my name - and i'm gonna kick that's skunk's bootay!

L
luv2fish
cchinook said:
When you say the springer run is almost over I do not know how to convince you that it has not even started - I do not get serious until May 15 on the Clack. At McIver Park , Barb's Hole and the Gauge Hole , just below the dam , I have a boat and I have been trolling to no avail . Bobber and a shrimp cocktail. 25 yrs. of dragging them out of there . Oh well , more for me I guess . When I here anglers complain they are not landing nooks I just do not know what to say anymore . Last year I worked 3 rivers -the Clack. , the Wilson and Bonnie at the Tanner Creek area . I brought home about 250 lbs. of fish , a slow year for me . This is while working full time , 4 more yrs. and I will be out there a lot more . Work with me here people ! Before I croak and leave all my " fishing secrets " to the my cat . It is not that hard.

I agree with you Cchinook...i just started springer fishing say like ..what..this is my third year...and your right...springer run is not in full bloom yet...i got 3 fish from bank and one from boat....and i've been out 10 times to be honest..so yeah not bad....missed one at clack..got to see the fish and the most stupid thing i ever did in my life...lol...landed the fish and let it sit by the river bank and looking for pliers to ramove the hook and next thing is i hear a gunshot...lol...the fish made a run back and broke my line and took everything with it....lol....iwas mad but then i started laughing....lol..its oregon and i was too much enjoying the scenery around me;)

and cchinook....if you don't mind..i would like to tag along with you sometimes....definitely will help to learn a secret or two and will pass on those secret when its my time to go...lol....

Last edited: