Trolling for trout

T
Troutier Bassier
Hey guys, I have an opportunity to go trolling for trout tomorrow at my local lake. Dose anyone have any recomended methods to use?
Also, I have a few small ford fenders, how do I fish those? do I need lead? and I have about 3 trout sized chrome dodgers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :) thank you!

F
fish4life
I ussually dont use lake trolls, too much drag takes the fun out of fighting the fish. I troll rooster tails with no weight or a couple of split shots panther martins also work good. A wedding ring spinner tipped with a worm or pauzkies works well also. I see the guys using the big flashers and ask them how they have done and they say 5 or 6 fish for three guys when I have caught 20+ by myself. Not always but most of the time.

Reactions: Troutier Bassier
O
OutdoorsTeen
I would say slow troll and panthermartin rooster tail, maybey a wooly bugger or careys special. Prob to early for the careys though

M
metalfisher76
Everything mentioned works. They all have there days though so don`t be scurred to try somethin else when what`s in the water ain`t gettin bit. Use the wedding ring behind the ford flashers, tipped with worm or corn or pautzke or combo. I did use bananna weight to get`em down to where the fish were hittin. Gotta play with it, 1oz then 2, then 3..... It` can make the fight a lil less fun. But ya gotta be careful not to horse with all that stuff too. So there can be some tense moments. And if it`s what they`re hittin....by gawd troll it!

T
TTFishon
I like to troll 1/8th and 1/16th oz Thomas lures. My 2 favorite colors are the chrome with red,black, and yellow spots and the copper with the same color of spots. Good luck!!!

N
nwkiller
Tb, get your self a few wedding ring colors, gold or chrome, maybe thor a little bigger flasher on if you have one......fish on

H
Hawk
Try trolling a gold lil Cleo,
or a diving Rapala, in the image of a baby bass.
:D:D:D

troutdude
troutdude
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention a gold/brass colored Little Cleo spoon. I got a LOT of trout with those last year; and watched another guy bring in a 30" steelie w/ one too.

Thanks Hawk.

S
STEELseeker4086
What are some of your favorite gear setups when trolling for trout?

C
Combat Chuck
Sling Blade and wedding ring or a Tasmanian Devil(no flasher).

T
Throbbit _Shane
Trolling thomas spoons and various spinners will work for trout.

In my pontoon i like to troll flies with a spinning rod. Dont have to troll fast.

Reactions: OnTheFly
C_Run
C_Run
I'm not too qualified to answer this since I am new to trolling. The last two summers, though, I've been flat lining spinners for searun cutthroat in tidewater with pretty good results. The water's not too deep, though. Just using small Mepps or Blue Fox seems pretty effective. I'm hoping to learn more about lake fishing.

S
STEELseeker4086
How do you get your lure down to the bottom? 1 oz. weight with swivels/ an in line weight/ a dropper?

C
Combat Chuck
I use leadcore line or a downrigger(20'+).

troutdude
troutdude
Ford Fender, Doc Shelton, Beer Cans, or any other flasher set of your choice. Then, 3 - 4 feet of leader. A Wedding Ring spinner (pink beads or 1/2 green and 1/2 black beads), tipped w/ 1/2 a worm. My other "go to", is the same flasher set; but with a brass colored Little Cleo spoon. Let your gear out about 100' behind your boat.

And this time of year, the fish are active on / near the surface...so, no weight should be needed. But, if you need to get deeper...a 1/2 or 1 oz. banana weight inline, will do the trick.

I also echo TS's suggestion:

"In my pontoon i like to troll flies with a spinning rod. Don't have to troll fast." This works just as well in a float tube too. With a spin rod, just use a torpedo bobber and about 4 - 5' of leader to the fly. Wooly Buggers, and Teeny Nymphs are also deadly w/ this method. The fish like Olive Green, Black, and sometimes Brown...in sizes 8-10 generally.

O
OnTheFly
Intermediate sinking or sink tip line about 40ft. out, a 9ft. leader with 3ft. of 4 to 6x tippet attached to a #10 green or black leach pattern. Troll slow and stop a few times in between.

Last edited:
M
MikePierce170
I agree with troutdude. Ford Fenders have always been my go to trolling setup for trout. I've been using them for years and have caught numerous rainbows, kokanee, and brook trout. I personally use Luhr Jensen Ford Fenders followed by a short snubber and about 2-3ft of leader. There are lots of different configurations and colors of snubbers you can use as well. For bait I typically use worms. Best of luck!

B
bernduffy
Since Hagg Lake closes today, I can look back on a nice long season (since March) and take stock (no pun intended) of what really worked.
First: a bannana weight 1/2 to 3 oz...
then a willow leaf lake troll in brass/nickel...
then snubber if needed...
2-3 feet of leader (I use Maxima 8# for big trout opportunity)
Apex or ProTroll trout/kokanee Killer lure (watermelon, silver, orange, pink)
with no more than 1/2 " worm up shaft of trailing #4 Gamikatsu double hook (kokanee style rig) which is tipped with Crappie Nibble power egg (push point through 1/4")
I caught more than 50 trout 8-18" this year on Hagg with this basic rig.

R
Rock10
I like wedding rings with corn and eggs, or panther martins, the smaller the better.