Trolling for kokes.

R
Ray
I am pretty new to the whole concept of trolling. I went down and bought a flasher setup that is premade with a snubber and wedding ring. I just have a little 14ft aluminum boat to hit the lake with and no down riggers yet. So how do I get down to the fish if they are 30-40 feet down? I do have a electric motor to troll with as well as fish finder... Anybody want to go fish and show me the ropes?

C
capblack
Ray said:
I am pretty new to the whole concept of trolling. I went down and bought a flasher setup that is premade with a snubber and wedding ring. I just have a little 14ft aluminum boat to hit the lake with and no down riggers yet. So how do I get down to the fish if they are 30-40 feet down? I do have a electric motor to troll with as well as fish finder... Anybody want to go fish and show me the ropes?

this time of year you dont have to be down as far. try flatlining, or adding a banana weight above your troll or dodger. it will take some time to get the hang of how far down you are, but i use 1 or 2 ounces later in the summer, and if your going slow enough (around 1mph) you will get down to them. if that doesn't work, see if you can't find where they are schooled up, and try jigging. look around through the old threads, theres some good info here, and also try kokanee fishing forum for some more koke specific info. good luck, Brian p.s. just as a warning, i hope you know what your getting yourself into. kokanee fishing can be highly addictive

troutdude
troutdude
Don't let Cappy fool you...ANY kind of fishing is highly addictive! LOL

But, he is spot on w/ his advice. I be happy to go with you, but I'm crippled up and waiting for surgery. Maybe I can go later in the season.

Right now, you'll find most of the fish (kokes and trout) in the top 20' or so of the water column. So, flat lining should work fine. Use 8 lb. main line, tie on your flasher set w/ spinner. Tip the hook w/ about 1/3 of a night crawler and 1 or 2 pieces of WHITE corn kernels.

Let your line out about 100' behind your boat, and go slow. Wait for a bite. The snubber is there, to lessen the tension of the bite and not pull the hook out of the kokes mouth (they are very soft). Go through areas that other boats fish--or are circling over (signs of a school). But, don't neglect other areas too.

If you don't get any bites, add 1/2 oz. banana weight to go deeper. If still no bites, go to 1 oz. and so on. I personally don't use anymore than 2 oz. before switching to down riggers.

Good luck.

P.S. The peeps at Dan Dees Sporting Goods in Sweet Home, can help you get geared up and answer your questions too. They're good peeps.

B
bernduffy
Man, I wish I lived in Sweet Home! Green Peter in 20 minutes. Kokes galore. Yes, I've got the fever.
BTW: I've caught my biggest 2 kokanee at GP trolling fairly shallow. Wedding ring with corn behind a silver dodger.

troutdude
troutdude
Sounds like you've got it dialed in BD. I forgot about using a dodger. In fact, OFF'er MOSD uses a dodger w/ a hoochie rig and does VERY well.

BTW, I predict that some BIG "chinokanees" are pulled out of GP this year too. They are in there.

R
Ray
I hope so. So far I have not even caught a pellet head. Gonna order a down rigger tonight. If that does not work a case of TNT and I will raise them all!! ;)

C
capblack
dont let yourself get burned out on the kokes at gp, the guys that spend almost all of the summer up there taking home 30 and 40 a day arent catching them yet. the best success ive heard about is 3 or 4 a day so far. theres still a month or so before it gets going and 2 months before its hot. just get up there, learn your finder, learn your downrigger, and by the time it gets hot, youll be pulling them in left and right!! theres a lot to learn, gold and brass when its cloudy, silver when its sunny, trolling with the sun at your side, or at your back, what colors that work in the morning at 30 ft wont work in the afternoon at 50, sometimes they hit at .7 mph, sometimes its 1.7. theres a lot of variables, and thats what makes it so much fun.

R
Ray
Yea, its been trial and error so far. Trying to get the troll motor setup, replacing the out board that some dirt bag ripped off etc. The good news is I did get a down rigger setup from bi mart. So the boat is at least getting closer to ready for the kokes. I am just trying to get some knowledge in my head so I can prepare better.