Trolling Detroit LAke

F
fishy4
I have been asking a lot about detroit due to the fact that i am taking a trip up the 19th i want to target kokanee and bows. maybe even a chinook. i am making a couple old short salmon poles into downriggers. my question is how deep do i need to be? and is there a key lure to use in detroit besides a a wedding ring? i went a lot last year only got one koke flatlining out about 100 feet on trout gear but this year i want more kokes then trout. i know green peter is better. but i feel that there is potential for bigger fish in detroit. thank you.

T
Thuggin4Life
Do you have a fish finder?

troutdude
troutdude
Most fish will still be near the surface, until the temp really warms up. I would try flat ling first. Then, if no luck, add a 1 oz. banana weight to get it down deeper. Be sure to have a piece of worm and two white corn kernels on the hook (of a wedding ring). And try a hot pink/red combo bodied w. ring.

For the 'nooks, I'd troll a Brass colored Little Cleo, or a Needlefish (both "spoons"). Good luck.

F
fishy4
thanks for the reply i do have a fishfinder. i will be in a 18 ft jetcraft no DR unfortunatley. so trolling near surface just like trout eh? i have some gibbs minnows and such as well where should i target kokes any certain areas in that lake you have seen them? swim in schools?

C
Charlie_merrifi
Kokes around the island and infront of the damn and creek arm. I caught a 3 inch koke in hoover arm. Didn't know it was there reeling in and there it was

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah but if you start finding schools deeper either add some wieght or use your homemade DR. I bet there are some big nooks down deep to be had if a guy could figure out how to catch one.

F
fishy4
how could i make a DR? using a salmon rod? how do i mount it to the boat?

C
Charlie_merrifi
Pole holder good reel heavy line

F
fishy4
ok. how much weight should i use? and how many pulls?

T
Thuggin4Life
Well you are the one who said he was making one.... yeah just use an old stiff salmon rod either the whole rod or just part of it however you like it and spool up a bunch of 100lb braid and tie on a big clip to clip to a big weight. then for depth you could guess, what the fish finder and see if it maks the ball or go by one of those clip on line counters or even color coded line. then to get it to stay in/on the boat simply mount it in a rod holder. cannon makes a mini troll downrigger that is only good for small applications so you could check them out. bimart has them and they are like 75 bucks.

F
fishy4
yeah i saw those but 75 bucks is 75 bucks right now lol. kinda spendy where can you get color coded line. and yeah i am going to attempt making one. lol

T
Thuggin4Life
yeah i had 3 of them. I had to make special brackets for them to mount to just to find out they need more line and heavier balls. I ended up selling them and getting my moneys worth. useless things they were.

F
fishy4
yeah the word useless definatley sums it up. i will be leaving 3 am sharp on the 19th will post back once i have my creations finish. had the boat moored in the willy for a while and it grew almost an inch thick worth of moss on the bottom. got to get some scrubby ness lol

C
Charlie_merrifi
Color coded line is leadcore line. They have it at bi mart. Changes color every 10 yards. When using it for flat lining it sinks about 5 feet per color

C
capblack
they make metered line other than lead core. I have seen it in cabelas, but i dont know where else you can get it. its just basically leadcore line with out the lead.
Charlie_merrifi said:
Color coded line is leadcore line. They have it at bi mart. Changes color every 10 yards. When using it for flat lining it sinks about 5 feet per color