Trojan report

H
Hopeless
Don't you just love the smell of burnt drag in the morning? :)

I know that the carp good/bad and 'angling methods' topics can be heated at times; I apologize in advance.

After no luck for a month besides a little bitty catfish (totally coolio, kindly released with a smile on my face) and some sculpins, I was kind of desperate.

Today when I arrived at Trojan, as I drove up I could see carp activity. When I got out, I could hear it. The spawn is on !! :) !! I walked closer to the south bank, and almost got showered by the spray from the spawning carp. Uggh. Icky.
I ran back to my truck and tied up a snagging rig as I watched for activity. My first rig did nothing, just a half dozen snelled single salmon hooks with weight under it.

NOTE: I am not indiscriminately casting and ripping hooks through the water hoping for anything. I am deliberately snagging CARP I can SEE. <-emphasis

Those little worthless hooks, were useless. I made a quick run for 'proper snaggin' equipment' at the Rainier Tru-Valu, and came back. Next up, 1/0 treble and 1 oz lead tied to it. I managed one glorious hook up with one, and had a hell of a fight.

I recently bought an Okuma combo; a ML 8'6" SST rod, and a Citrix 354 levelwind. I think I proved the equipment. My rod was bent clear down to the reel seat like an elbow macaroni, and the reel has a very smooth, powerful drag. I got cocky and lost the fish, with a scale as a disheartening memento.
I really do NOT like that I lost it, even though I have no love for them. I have a 'one shot, one kill' mentality, and I wounded with my first shot. Like I said, I really don't like that.

Also, just FYI, snagging carp is HARD. They are very wary of movement on the bank and of stuff going over them. Most of the time, I couldn't even get the hook down next to them before they took off. That was IF they allowed me down on the bank within fifteen feet of them. It was either miss or holy carp, mostly miss.

I think the spawn will be mostly over in a week, from what I read, and the bite will be 'back on'? Hopefully I can get them with the 'kinder, gentler fishing methods' then.

Worth mentioning, the carp are pretty big. I think a good number could go over thirty inches, and they are thick and powerful. Most fish I saw were probably around 24".

Regards, and better luck for you.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Great post! Thank you!

Welcome to the forum, we look forward to more of your reports in the future!

I
igquick
lmao, it is pretty tough though. When I was going at it last year, man oh man was I pourin down dripping with sweat.

Good luck and I'm glad you had fun with it! I netted one this weekend. I saw the torpedo of carp on the surface come towards me and I stuck my net in front of it lol

H
Hopeless
Well, I got eight of them today. I fished nonstop from 7am to 3:30pm when the clouds rolled in. Most memorable was the one that took me an hour to land.
I figured out early on that the barbs on the treble hook I was using were screwing me. If I didn't get a point between scales, I just plucked off one or two. I knocked the barbs down, sharpened up and went to town. Also figured out it was better to pass up a rushed attempt, and just go for the best ones I could. At the end of the day, I noticed my hook was starting to straighten out on two points. A 1/0 treble getting straightened, woah. Also noticed was they can feel my line on them very well. I made a trip in to Longview to Bob's Sporting Goods for more gear. This is where I got my rod/reel combo from, and I am glad I listened to the big kid and old guy behind the counter when I bought it. Solid recommendation.
So, now I am going to try a 4/0 treble with a 1.5oz weight, and I covered a foot of line above my hook with small black tubing. Hopefully this will reduce their sensitivity to my line.
My Mom wants more to put in the garden and under the flowers, so who am I to turn down a request to fish (catch)? :)
Anyway, I feel good about today. The fish I hooked solid were landed, and should help us grow good food and pretty flowers. I definitely didn't get the bigger ones, I could see them just out of reach at times.

Regards and sore limbs

I
igquick
Hopeless said:
Well, I got eight of them today. I fished nonstop from 7am to 3:30pm when the clouds rolled in. Most memorable was the one that took me an hour to land.
I figured out early on that the barbs on the treble hook I was using were screwing me. If I didn't get a point between scales, I just plucked off one or two. I knocked the barbs down, sharpened up and went to town. Also figured out it was better to pass up a rushed attempt, and just go for the best ones I could. At the end of the day, I noticed my hook was starting to straighten out on two points. A 1/0 treble getting straightened, woah. Also noticed was they can feel my line on them very well. I made a trip in to Longview to Bob's Sporting Goods for more gear. This is where I got my rod/reel combo from, and I am glad I listened to the big kid and old guy behind the counter when I bought it. Solid recommendation.
So, now I am going to try a 4/0 treble with a 1.5oz weight, and I covered a foot of line above my hook with small black tubing. Hopefully this will reduce their sensitivity to my line.
My Mom wants more to put in the garden and under the flowers, so who am I to turn down a request to fish (catch)? :)
Anyway, I feel good about today. The fish I hooked solid were landed, and should help us grow good food and pretty flowers. I definitely didn't get the bigger ones, I could see them just out of reach at times.

Regards and sore limbs

I think I understand, so the barbs on the treble hook decrease the chance of hooking deeper I suppose.

H
Hopeless
Cloud cover has prevented me from getting out again. I think I may be done snagging for a while. Spawn should be over soon :(

IG - Yep, whenever I pulled scales off, they would be impaled right to the start of the barb. Barbless actually helps, go figure.

I think when I go out and fish with bait later, I'll use only barbless hooks, just to make it easier to get them out of other fish.

I
igquick
Hopeless said:
Cloud cover has prevented me from getting out again. I think I may be done snagging for a while. Spawn should be over soon :(

IG - Yep, whenever I pulled scales off, they would be impaled right to the start of the barb. Barbless actually helps, go figure.

I think when I go out and fish with bait later, I'll use only barbless hooks, just to make it easier to get them out of other fish.

Makes you wonder if it's easier to get an initial hook set when using a barbless when just fishing normally