Triploid hatchery trout?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Triploid Rainbow trout are what gets raised and planted almost everywhere now, they cannot reproduce and thus cannot mix into the genetics of any naturally occuring trout (rainbow, steelhead, cutthroat). But what the heck are they? some crazy GMO frankenstien fish?

no, you can relax, they are actually rainbow trout that occur naturally in small numbers all the time. Here is a good explanation of them:

"When trout spawn, the female’s eggs possess two sets of chromosomes and the male’s sperm possess one set. After the eggs are fertilized, the chromosomes recombine and each egg inherits one set of chromosomes from the female and another set from the male — similar to humans. The third set is then kicked out of the egg. Rarely in the wild, an egg will “forget” to kick out the third set and the fish becomes what is known as a triploid (possessing three sets of chromosomes). Triploid fish look, swim, jump, and taste like normal fish, except for one important difference—they never develop normal eggs or sperm and are unable to reproduce (i.e., they are sterile).

Through experimentation with this natural process, researchers found that they could create triploid trout both by exposing trout eggs to pressure and by placing trout eggs in a warm water bath shortly after fertilization. Both processes inhibit a trout egg’s ability to kick out that third set of chromosomes and voila, a triploid fish is born."

Last edited by a moderator:
S
Socaaron
Another thing about trips is that without the burning desire/ability to reproduce they grow quite large rather quickly. I know other states use them but I wasn't aware that ODFW was stocking them routinely. I mean it makes sense for the fully grown stockers to be trips

troutdude
troutdude
Excellent thread Roger. Keep up the great work!

B
Big3d
Thanks for the post. This is great stuff.

L
lizzay
I used to fish those when I lived in so cal. There was a pay lake called santa ana rivers lakes and they stocked those. You'd be able to pull in a 15- 20+ pounder but they're hardly a good fight due to the fins being clipped.