Trip to Utah and Wallowa country

G

GDBrown

:cool:
Sorry I was unable to attend the Trillium Trophy Quest. I was busy with grandkids and fishing in the Wallowa's of NE Oregon.
I fished with my son on the Provo river after being frozen out in the High Uinta Mts. I had bought a float tube and everything, got up at 4:30AM to get there early! They had planted some tiger trout the week before and we wanted to beat the crowd! D$%& it was cold.:mad:
HighUintaLake.jpg FrozenPond1.jpg
Then stopped at the Minam Campground and just had to stay!
After fishing nymphs for a few hours and catching lots of small (8 inch) trout I went upstream to a large pool where some larger trout had been rising, tied on the largest dry fly in my box (salmon fly) and cast to the middle of the seams. On the fourth or fifth cast I hook a large trout! (steelhead):shock: It was a lot of fun for about 60 Sec. then the 4lb tippet snapped!:( (Note to self... buy stronger tippet!)
I slipped on some rocks the next day hurting my back so I spent the next few days driving the hills and valleys watching the big game and bow hunters. Lots of deer and elk over there, one herd of elk at a watering hole had a 6 or 7 point bull making sure no one bothered his cows, including me! It was quite a sight. Here are a few photos of the trip.

ProvoRvrBrown.jpg
My son Kyle with one of four big browns for the day.

MinamFishingPartners.jpg
My fishing partners at Minam CG. No telephoto lens needed!

MinamCampgrnd.jpg
Temporary home for a few days.

JosephRvrValley.jpg
Joseph River Valley from overlook on Hwy 3.

L

lilsalmon

We missed you at Trillium but it looks like you had an excellent trip....cept for the hurt back. Very nice pics.

O

OnTheFly

Nice shots Gene. The Wallowa area is some of the finest country anywhere.

jamisonace

jamisonace

Most Featured
Sound fun. Two places I love to fish: The Provo River and around Joseph. Did you fish the Middle Provo? One day my brother and I were coming down from camping in the Uintas and we decided to pull over and fish the Upper Provo. Didn't know we were on private property until after we left but it was some of the best fishing of my life. I learned to fly fish on the Lower Provo but with the work they done on the Middle, I really enjoy that area now. I'll be there for a couple weeks in November so I'm looking forward to some fishing then.

:cool:
Sorry I was unable to attend the Trillium Trophy Quest. I was busy with grandkids and fishing in the Wallowa's of NE Oregon.
I fished with my son on the Provo river after being frozen out in the High Uinta Mts. I had bought a float tube and everything, got up at 4:30AM to get there early! They had planted some tiger trout the week before and we wanted to beat the crowd! D$%& it was cold.:mad:
HighUintaLake.jpg FrozenPond1.jpg
Then stopped at the Minam Campground and just had to stay!
After fishing nymphs for a few hours and catching lots of small (8 inch) trout I went upstream to a large pool where some larger trout had been rising, tied on the largest dry fly in my box (salmon fly) and cast to the middle of the seams. On the fourth or fifth cast I hook a large trout! (steelhead):shock: It was a lot of fun for about 60 Sec. then the 4lb tippet snapped!:( (Note to self... buy stronger tippet!)
I slipped on some rocks the next day hurting my back so I spent the next few days driving the hills and valleys watching the big game and bow hunters. Lots of deer and elk over there, one herd of elk at a watering hole had a 6 or 7 point bull making sure no one bothered his cows, including me! It was quite a sight. Here are a few photos of the trip.

ProvoRvrBrown.jpg
My son Kyle with one of four big browns for the day.

MinamFishingPartners.jpg
My fishing partners at Minam CG. No telephoto lens needed!

MinamCampgrnd.jpg
Temporary home for a few days.

JosephRvrValley.jpg
Joseph River Valley from overlook on Hwy 3.

M

mgdguy

Looks like a great trip! Beautiful country out there - I experienced some of it for the first time this summer :)

G

GDBrown

Sound fun. Two places I love to fish: The Provo River and around Joseph. Did you fish the Middle Provo? One day my brother and I were coming down from camping in the Uintas and we decided to pull over and fish the Upper Provo. Didn't know we were on private property until after we left but it was some of the best fishing of my life. I learned to fly fish on the Lower Provo but with the work they done on the Middle, I really enjoy that area now. I'll be there for a couple weeks in November so I'm looking forward to some fishing then.

Yes, we were on the middle section just below Jordanelle. I fished the lower river while at BYU in the 70's (yeah I'm that old) it was easy to get to and they planted it heavily so fish were easy to catch. It helped that my new wife loved to eat trout! I didn't get into fly fishing until we moved to Bozeman for three years. I still miss the Madison, Gallatin, Jefferson, etc, etc..... I may take a trip back there next year.

GD