Trim angle

C
Charlie_merrifi
Im going to take my boat out on its first voyage saturday. Is there a way i can set the trim properly before i get it on the water. Its a little tough in the middle of the lake.

C
capblack
what would make you think its not set? if your worried about it, put it dead center, and try it. if it doesn't handle properly adjust it between trips. are you talking right and left, or up and down, because up and down can be adjusted on the lake, although, theres probably no docks this time of year. where are you going?

C
Charlie_merrifi
Going to detroit. Mongold is open. Up and down trim. The boat hasnt been used in many years. Just want to be certain.

C
capblack
just set it parrallel with the transom. should be good enough for the maiden voyage.

T
Thuggin4Life
You want the cavitation plate above the prop the be on the same plane as your hull. this is the optimum setting for trim. this is where i set mine and i only change it when i am by myself to help keep the bow from bouncing so much. then i set the trim one adjustment down.

M
mudslinging79
try it out on the lowest setting and go from there, i run mine on the 2nd hole, works for most outings unless water is too rough

M
mudslinging79
course on a new to me boat, ill try about 2 holes up, take a spin, if i need to adjust, i head to shallow water,, couple feet deep, and make an adjustment and try again. repeat till satisfied. as for shallow water, dont think that needs an explanation...

C
Charlie_merrifi
Thanks. No i understand shallow water

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Guessing your motor is manual trim? Start with the cav plate level w/ the bottom of the hull and go up or down from there, depending on performance. IF power trim - just trim it when you get it on the water.

G
GDBrown
GungasUncle said:
Guessing your motor is manual trim? Start with the cav plate level w/ the bottom of the hull and go up or down from there, depending on performance. IF power trim - just trim it when you get it on the water.

X2 Cav plate should be parallel with bottom of the hull. If you have too much weight in the front of the boat you tip the motor up if you have too little tip it down. I need one stop in between on mine!

T
Thuggin4Life
Thuggin4Life said:
You want the cavitation plate above the prop the be on the same plane as your hull. this is the optimum setting for trim. this is where i set mine and i only change it when i am by myself to help keep the bow from bouncing so much. then i set the trim one adjustment down.

x4 on the cav plate best preformance overall. down to hold the bow down up to push it up.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Oh - and just an addendum - be careful about towing your rig with the motor down. If it's got a lock for the manual trim, release it prior to towing. Last thing you want/need is the lower unit striking something on the road, and removing or smashing said lower unit... a better way might be to find the parallel position, or whatever position normally works best for your boat/loadout - and mark it with a dab of paint, or a grease pencil or something, so that if you have to tilt the motor forward for transport (make sure you use something like a transom saver for this!) you can quickly get it back to the right trim location. If power trim equipped, I'd trim the motor all the way up for transport.

Lower units are kind of expensive, and so is hull damage caused when an unsecured engine swings down and smashes against the hull.

H
Hawk
When towing my boat with the 15 hp Sea King, i usually release the trim lock, put in a chunk of 2"x4" above the trim lock pin, & put an old arrow through the holes to hold the 2x4 in place. :lol: The wood absorbs the shock of the motor bounce going down the road.

M
mudslinging79
also bear in mind water conditions may affect how you trim your boat, i think rough water you want the motor trimmed out more to keep the nose down...

C
Charlie_merrifi
I strap it down to keep it from bouncing. They way my boat sits on the trailer there is no way to use transom saver

S
stream2.5
on a smaller boat without power trim set propeller paralell to hull when hull is set level, this is the most efficient possition..

if power trim equipped, start all the way down, and trim up based on speed and water conditions trimming to level once on plane

Last edited: