Tried the Willy, near Salem, again..

L
les_robot
But nothing... sure was a nice morning to be casting (everything in the tackle box) from shore.. Took my 7 year old son...we had a good time casting and yakking.. Saw a couple of guys on Green Pontoon Boats, float by.. Also, saw what I think was a steelhead, swimming upstream, about 10 feet offshore, right near the bottom.. Don't know if it was related, but I had been casting a wiggle wart just before I saw him..

Maybe some action next time.. Have tried it mid-day (last Saturday), and now morning.. Guess I better try evening next.. haha

Les

T
troutmasta
Id just cast out worms and let em sit. your bound to catch something. The willy is loaded w/ fish. Good luck.

L
les_robot
That sure has crossed my mind, especially for my Son..... but, for Bass I only do C.P.R... Although, with all the Salmon/Steelhead over the Falls, it still seems like there's got to be a chance to get into one, even in the Salem area, from the bank..

D
Drew9870
Worms are the best bait for anything in the Willamette, but if you plunk one on the bottom, the Sculpin will make short work of it, along with Squawfish, but atleast the Squawfish have a bit more size to them then a Sculpin. If you drift fish a half or whole nightcrawler and bump bottom a couple times per drift, you are bound to pick up something worthwhile. I've caught monster suckers drifting a stick float (of all things) and a worm rigged deep enough to tap bottom a couple times, Smallmouths won't resist it either. Twitching a Crawler slowly close to bottom in slacker water will work just as good.

The spot where Pringle Creek dumps in has been visited by me many, many, times last year. White Bread, Corn, Liver, and dead minnows (Shiners) are all reliable baits in that area, especially for big Squawfish, Suckers will take the corn and bread, Idk about Liver (I wouldn't doubt it).

Last edited:
18406ej
18406ej
I've had good luck with Bass under the Highway 22 bridges at Wallace Marine Park using rooostertails and spinners. I wasn't TRYING for Bass, but I have had a lot more luck with them biting there than what I was really after. Not sure how old your son is, but watch some of the currents if you do go there.

Good luck,