Tried the Canal today

D
durantmatt
Had sometime to kill, and I went to the AB Canal for about an hour this morning. Never been there before and went near the bridge by the BMX track. While walking there were some small rainbows busting a insect hatch. I tried a small fly with a dropper= Nothing. Rooster tail= Nothing. Night crawler soft plastic worm= Nothing. Finally, the spoon did the trick.

Anybody have any ideas where some better spots would be that I could try. Don't know the area over there very well.

troutdude
troutdude
Good spots right behind Kowloon's. Otherwise...jJust hike up and down, behind Autzen. And try the "radio tower pond" too (it's part of the canal system). The outflow pond can be good too. (Not the duck pond; or your boots will be covered with duck crap...literally).

ABC was planted in the late Fall, with 36,000 "legal" sized 'bows (8") over a 6 week period. But, there are trout up to 16" or more; and once in a while a steelie. There's also bass in the RT pond. And stocking will begin again in Feb.

BTW, you can search the archives (under Alton Baker Canal) for other great information and tips.

Last edited:
D
durantmatt
troutdude said:
Just hike up and down, behind Autzen. And try the "radio tower pond" too (it's part of the canal system).

ABC was planted in the late Fall, with 36,000 "legal" sized 'bows (8"). But, there are trout up to 16" or more; and once in a while a steelie. There's also bass in the RT pond.

Where is the Radio Tower pond and RT pond?

troutdude
troutdude
The radio tower pond is the same as rt...just abbreviated.

It's about 1/4 mile behind (and slightly east) of Autzen. You can look up AB Park on Mapquest, and find it that way.

P.S. Thanks for posting your report!

D
durantmatt
I appreciate the info.

D
durantmatt
I just looked up the pond on mapquest, it looks like there are a couple other small ponds near there. Do you happen to know if there are any bass in the pond?

troutdude
troutdude
durantmatt said:
I just looked up the pond on mapquest, it looks like there are a couple other small ponds near there. Do you happen to know if there are any bass in the pond?

You're welcome. I'm not sure about the other ponds. I've only been there 2 or 3 times. Am sending you a PM.

E
everett464
I don't think there are any bass in there, but I saw a guy pull out a carp once. Additionally I have heard rumors of Steelhead. If you have waders, you might try to hit some fo the water East of the freeway. It is tight and Murky, but relatively un-fished (except by me).

D
durantmatt
everett464 said:
I don't think there are any bass in there, but I saw a guy pull out a carp once. Additionally I have heard rumors of Steelhead. If you have waders, you might try to hit some fo the water East of the freeway. It is tight and Murky, but relatively un-fished (except by me).

I've heard near I-5 is pretty good. Do you fly fish it at all?

E
everett464
I only Fly-Fish, except, according to some, when I nymph with an indicator.

D
durantmatt
everett464 said:

Right on! But I still consider nymphing fly fishing, haha. Is there much current to run a dryfly with a dropper nymph?

T
TTFishon
There were bass in there 25 years ago. I don't see why there wouldn't be any bass in there now.

E
everett464
Is there much current to run a dryfly with a dropper nymph?

Definitely. The only problem is, and this only applies to the area east of the freeway, there is not a ton of room to present a sustained, drag-free drift. Essentially, you are standing in the middle of the canal, and stripping line out in front of you. There are trees overhead and trees every-which way, so you don't have a ton, if any, room to cast; you are just flicking out a mini-roll cast downstream, and tugging your presentation into the small channel. you have to pull the rig back and forth quite a bit, so your presentation is anything but drag free.

The reason I suggest this creates a problem is that if you are relying on hackle to keep your dry-fly on top of the water, it is going to be extremely difficult. I think you may find some luck using a foam hopper with this technique.

Troutski
Troutski
Jasper

Jasper

There is a great slue by the Jasper bridge, coming from the Jasper store make your first after crossing the bridge and follow the signs to the small park the river is on your right hand side. There is a very large slue just up stream...nice Smallie area plus the occasional Cut Throat Trout, bring your waders..Tight lines.

Chuck

D
durantmatt
everett464 said:
Definitely. The only problem is, and this only applies to the area east of the freeway, there is not a ton of room to present a sustained, drag-free drift. Essentially, you are standing in the middle of the canal, and stripping line out in front of you. There are trees overhead and trees every-which way, so you don't have a ton, if any, room to cast; you are just flicking out a mini-roll cast downstream, and tugging your presentation into the small channel. you have to pull the rig back and forth quite a bit, so your presentation is anything but drag free.

The reason I suggest this creates a problem is that if you are relying on hackle to keep your dry-fly on top of the water, it is going to be extremely difficult. I think you may find some luck using a foam hopper with this technique.

Might be a decent place for my 6' three weight

D
durantmatt
Also, how deep is the canal?

E
everett464
Depends on where in the canal you are at, but never much more than three feet.

H
halibuthitman
everett464 said:
ha! I love it!