Triangle lake

W
windburnt
anybody been out to grab some kokes lately?... has the fishing picked up there at all? maybe gonna run out there after work tonight.

W
windburnt
windburnt said:
anybody been out to grab some kokes lately?... has the fishing picked up there at all? maybe gonna run out there after work tonight.

oh..and was thinkin darker color wedding rings.. is this right for the dark days we are having?

W
windburnt
Got 2 kokes... a lot of hits but no hook. deck hand got 0. eheheh was pink ring and worm.. yay

T
tbox
right on man..i have only caught kokes out of triangle a couple of times, but it was a lot earlier in the beginning of summer. How big were they? and were they all bright and silver?

W
windburnt
tbox said:
right on man..i have only caught kokes out of triangle a couple of times, but it was a lot earlier in the beginning of summer. How big were they? and were they all bright and silver?

bout 11". silver as a koke..ehehe

G
grampa ron
Triangle Kokes

Triangle Kokes

I have caught a lot of Kokes out of Triangle. An 11"er is a good one. I have also caught perch while trolling for Kokes. It seems the ford fenders and red wedding rings with worm work best.

B
Banjo
Kokes & Cuts

Kokes & Cuts

grampa ron said:
I have caught a lot of Kokes out of Triangle. An 11"er is a good one. I have also caught perch while trolling for Kokes. It seems the ford fenders and red wedding rings with worm work best.

I've done pretty well there lead line trolling with a #3 red & white needle fish with a grub and shrimp scent. Three colors was the special depth. Limited out in 3 hours of fishing. Took an hour to figure out what they'd take.
Last time I was there was in September. Love it when the water skiers have gone dormant.

O
Old fisherman Dan
Triangle Lake Kokanee

Triangle Lake Kokanee

I'm new hear but I've read some postings for the last few years. Some wonder if there are Kokanee in Triangle Lake, yes. I caught them there in the 60's. There used to be a larger population. When the fish ladders went in below the lake the kokes were no longer land locked and many ventured to sea.
The lake used to be a meca for largermouthed bass, blueguill, perch, and trout as well as the kokanee. It was a great place to grow up fishing, but the last few times I've been there it wasn't worth the trip.

J
jkeek9
how can i get into some cutthroat here, ive never been here

troutdude
troutdude
For cutt's try trolling w/ Willow Leafs in Silver or Gold and 1/2 Orange Blades. And trail a worm behind a wedding ring. I'd use a hot pink/red bodied ring for kokes and black/green bodied ring for cutts.

NOTE: use the worm as a trailer, not on the spinner hook. Add about 1' of leader. Tie one end onto the spinner hook. On the other end tie on a 2nd hook and add the worm. TIP: always thread a worm on TAIL first, so the head is above or on the hook. An attacking fish goes for the head of the worm.

J
jkeek9
thanks for the tips troutdude, do you know how big the fish on triangle can run?

troutdude
troutdude
No, sorry I don't. I have never fished it. The tips I gave you, came right out this month's new version of the former Fishing & Hunting News (can't recall the title). It is on the book shelves now for sale.

O
Old fisherman Dan
Cutthroat trout

Cutthroat trout

A wedding ring is always a good bet. What has always worked for me the last 50 years has been worms. I use the tail section on a wedding ring. But just the tail on a hook will work. Troll slow and the best area early in the year is along the South East shore about 100' out from the lily pads. This is shallow compared to most the lake, about 25 ft deep.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF Dan.

Just wondering...is the whole lake shallow?

O
Old fisherman Dan
The lake will average around 80 ft deep. Trout and kokanee can be caught in the top ten feet early in the season. As the surface warms up they'll be 20 ft and deeper.

troutdude
troutdude
That's great information, thank you. I told my dad about it yesterday. He lives in Corvallis, and enjoy's Koke fishing. Plus, it's closer than G. Peter!

B
Banjo
Triangle cuts

Triangle cuts

I've done well there trolling lead line with a red and white needlefish lure. Add a tiny grub and a little shrimp scent to the hook and fish it down around 10 feet (3 colors)