Trappers

F
fishtales
So I'm posting about trapping in the hunting section. I hope it fits. Nothing against hunting. So no hard feeling please.

I just got my 2010-2011 Comberland's Northwest Trappers Supply, Inc magazine. I would like to get back into it, but in oregon.

I know a little bit about it from living out of state. I got into it from a guy who was just getting into it but was going out regularly with a trapper who had been doing it for quite a while.

The guy had just started selling his furs when I started. I still remember the beaver hat he tried selling me "blanket size". I did not buy it but later that mornig we used the meat and set a bunch of snares with success.

Anyhow I have done some looking into getting a oregon licence. Anyone elses around here into it or have some old traps they want to get rid of.

Thanks

S
strawberry shortcake
When I took over managing the family ranch, I found my brother's old traps. He trapped muskrats mostly and had about 50 traps of various sizes. I gave them all to a local trapper who does it for a living. The rivers and streams around Wallowa County are full of these animals, and this year has been a banner year for small mink. The only thing I don't like about muskrat is that they have a bad smell, but their fur is nice. Mink can be aggressive little buggers so even though they are cute and playful with each other, when I run into them along the banks of the river, I step away from the river and go around them. I've seen maybe 10 this year, which is a lot, and speaks to how many I didn't see.

Last edited:
F
fishtales
Thanks for the response. It is kind of a dieing breed not many around these day that I know of. I have never trapped in oregon but am looking forward to all that it has to offer.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
My sister lived up in Montana for a while back in the 80's and used to tell us city slickers stories about the trappers. Very interesting and hardy group of people. Good luck to you and please be humane and careful...don't want you getting trapped by a mean critter...

F
fishtales
Montana is Blue Sky country and I love it there. I live there for a while in my 20’s. Yeah the last thing I need is to get trapped in a dangerous situation. It kind of reminds me of the scene from movie Jeremiah Johnson when the old trapper lures the bear in to his house and Jeremiah jumps out the back window.

Anyways I a pretty humane person. I actually spent part of last Saturday at the humane society with the homeless pets.