Transporting, shaking and storing crab meat

B
Billamicasr
I've always made it a practice to keep the crab alive on ice and put them into the hot water while still kicking. Seems I read somewhere it's a good practice because of some kind of nasty bacteria (?) that begins to form right after the crab is killed between the meat and the shell, even in the legs. Don't know the truth in that, but it's been the way I've done crab for many years. Also remember being told not to keep them in water, even salt water without constantly changing out the water as the crabs will self contaminate the water very quickly, ruining the sweetness of the meat.

My transport of crabs while kayaking is pretty easy. I use a burlap bag (gunny sack) with ice inside and stuff the crabs in while still alive. The bag breathes and allows water and contaminants to exit down through the scupper holes in the tank well in the back of the kayak. When I get back to the landing I used to transfer them into a cooler with ice for the 2-hour drive home. With my RV just 4-miles from Winchester Bay I don't bother with the cooler I just keep them in sack until I get back to cook them. Overly cautious probably and maybe not necessary, but at this point it is a habit.

I used to dislike eating crab because of the sheer drudgery it took to get to the meat. I was told about "Crab Shaking" and decided to look up a You Tube video to see how it is done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r15o71hQE68
I've been using this technique for some time. It's easy to get to the meat to make a nice batch of crab salad or crab cakes. If you catch crab and have never heard of Crab Shaking watch the video and practice. I can shake 6 crabs in the time it used to take to do just one.

After retrieving the crab meat I vacuum pack it. I got mine at Cabelas when it went on sale and was likely made by the same people who make the seal-a-meal brand. No worries storing meat for up to a year when kept cold frozen.

W
wozniasm
Excellent crab shaking going on there!

G
Gulfstream
I put the meat in a baggie,freeze the baggie,then vacuum pack it.That way the meat does not get smashed

Irishrover
Irishrover
Great Video. Made me hungry for more crab. Woz bet you miss those tasty crustaceans.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Thank you! I will def start shaking.

I always take my pot to the ramp and clean and cook them before I head home.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
good stuff!