Transporting pontoon by car

J
jleepga
I recently purchased a 9 foot pontoon, my problem is that I drive a Toyota Camry. I want to avoid breaking it down every time I want to go out so I was thinking of putting a roof rack on the camry and securing the 'toon to the rack. Does anyone have any experience doing something like this?

T
Throbbit _Shane
I break mine down each time i use it. And after you do it a few times its really not that bad. I try to park as close to the water as possible that way i dont have to carry it far. Also i gotta use 2 pumps, the electric cigarette lighter one doesn't make them firm enough, so i use a manual pump to top them off.

I had thoughts of putting mine on the roof of my car when i first got it. But i then decided not to since my favorite place to take it is pretty far away and i got to take I5 to get there.

M
meluvtrout
I use a roof rack. You have to take enough air out so that you can tie your toons. I use ratchets and finish with the anchor rope for extra precaution. 55-60 mph works just fine. I've got the roof rack from a place called rerack. They sell used racks for half the price and install them for free.
Only downfall is you'll get more wind noise in your car after installing any rack...

F
Finneus Polebender
I use a large flatbed trailer behind my truck can stack /strap many toons on it and head for the water. Even threw an old truck box on the front to hold life jackets,gear and such. might look for a lightweight flat trailer and throw a ball on your camry ....just a thought, Oh and always make sure you haul it facing bacwards .......trust me on that one.......

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
haha Why is that FP?? :lol::lol:

B
BobbiDollPDX
I installed a hitch on my nissan and built a trailer from a kit I got at Bimart.

M
Markcanby
BobbiDollPDX said:
I installed a hitch on my nissan and built a trailer from a kit I got at Bimart.

Oh dear Bobbi do be careful with that thing they are so dangerous. The wheels are so small an spin so fast you need to pack the bearings about every 200 miles.

M
mlw
I have heard of pontoons on roof racks ripping the roof off the vehicle, so picture a large truck and trailer whipping by in the opposite direction if you try it.
Michael

F
Finneus Polebender
GraphiteZen said:
haha Why is that FP?? :lol::lol:

Lets just say luckily it was very early no traffic backflips off the truck at 50+ think your startin to get the picture.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Markcanby said:
Oh dear Bobbi do be careful with that thing they are so dangerous. The wheels are so small an spin so fast you need to pack the bearings about every 200 miles.

mlw said:
I have heard of pontoons on roof racks ripping the roof off the vehicle, so picture a large truck and trailer whipping by in the opposite direction if you try it.
Michael

Finneus Polebender said:
Lets just say luckily it was very early no traffic backflips off the truck at 50+ think your startin to get the picture.

I'm glad i went the route that i did... Since i drive a station wagon i can air up both pontoons before i go if i want. and they fit in the car.

K
koboabe
I have a small flatbed trailer I have used in the past, but after moving I dont have the space to keep it in the garage.
now I just tie the toons only to the roof and keep the semi assembled rowing frame in the car.

Sadly I find my self using my Yak more than my toon these days.
I would part with my trailer for cheap if you have a hitch.