Transducer install help

C
Charlie_merrifi
I bough a new fishfinder and the manual says the transducer should hang below the bottom of the boat. How important is this. The way my hull is i can only get it low enough to have the bottom of the transducer even maybe slightly higher than the bottom of the boat.

C
Combat Chuck
Pics might be helpful? Hard to picture it with that description.

C
capblack
if your running an electric trolling motor, sometimes a good place for the transducer is mounted to the bottom of it. if your not, even with the bottom of your boat is fine. im sure if you can get it a little lower it would be better, but i dont think ive ever seen a transducer actually below the level of the boat, mines not and it works fine

C
Charlie_merrifi
2011-03-04191805.jpg

Reactions: capblack
S
SeaRay
On my aluminum boat I got a small aluminum plate about 1/8 inch thick approx. 4"X6" and mounted the transducer to that and then mounted the plate to the boat hull.I don't think yours will work there, when you are on plane.It will have too much turbulence.
good luck

C
Charlie_merrifi
Thats about the only place far enogh away from the prop but away from the trailer bunks i could get it. Will it work at slow speeds

A
Amberjack
I would try to mount it lower so the transducer is below the bottom of the boat. The transducer works on a cone. Yes it will work at slow speeds . What brand/model did your buy? I may be able to help you with the settings.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Amberjack is correct the transducer should be below the bottom of the boat. I can see the problem you have with the angle on your transom. It looks like the bracket for the transducer is to long to make it fit the angle. Two choices, see if the manufacture has a different bracket or adaptor, the second choice would be to have a piece of aluminum welded on to the transom that fits flush @90 degrees . Then you could mount the bracket as recomended by the manufacture. It's important to have the transducer just below the level of the hull to have it do it's job. Good luck with the project.

C
Charlie_merrifi
I got it moved a little it hangs below only about an 1/8th of an inch. Its a humminbird 365i