Trailer lights

C
Charlie_merrifi
So I busted a tail light on my boat trailer. I replaced it with a tail light off another trailer and just spliced the wires. Will this cause a problem when it goes in the water. I always unplug the lights before I launch.

H
Hawk
Just unplug lights before launching. You should be fine

Put PLUG in Transom.
:lol::lol::lol:

T
Thuggin4Life
I have some ghetto unmathching lights right now. always unplug them and you are fine.

C
Charlie_merrifi
What about when you plug them back in

Irishrover
Irishrover
If you spliced them with butt connectors, silicone, and shrink wrap you won't have a problem going in or out. Anything electrical I splice or hook up to my boat is done in that mannor. Connect the wires with butt connectors smear on silicone slide the shrink wrap on and apply heat. Presto you are good to go. It keeps the water out and give you a stronger connection.

O
OnTheFly
Irishrover said:
If you spliced them with butt connectors, silicone, and shrink wrap you won't have a problem going in or out. Anything electrical I splice or hook up to my boat is done in that mannor. Connect the wires with butt connectors smear on silicone slide the shrink wrap on and apply heat. Presto you are good to go. It keeps the water out and give you a stronger connection.

Hey...were're looking for another apprentice.:D;)

Irishrover
Irishrover
OnTheFly said:
Strickly 12 volt dc no 480 ac three phase for this guy!:shock:

S
stream2.5
just an fyi for everyone.... harbor freight sells fully sealed LED submersable light sets for 29.99.. just use heat shrink style butt connectors and they are better than fighting corroded old wore out junk that has seen better days..

for that 30.00 you get 2 tail lights and 2 amber marker lights with 25 feet of wire on a 4 prong flat plug. and all the hangers and clips for the wire and licence plate

S
stream2.5
OnTheFly said:

low voltage /limited energy or 110+

O
OnTheFly
stream2.5 said:
low voltage /limited energy or 110+

We're right in the middle between the LV and Line guys. 600volts or less. Seldom in our trade do we excede 480. We do a little phone, catv, and structured media but not much. I was kid'n around with Irishrover but I wish we were busy enough to really hire more people.

Irishrover
Irishrover
"I was kid'n around with Irishrover" I thought you were serious when you showed me how to connect my tippet to my leader with a butt connector!:lol: I thought those were for connecting the leader to the butt material.

Stream2.5 thats good info I was looking for LEDS and could not find them at NAPA and a couple of other places in Sandy. Looks like a trip into Gresham is in order.

S
stream2.5
ah no biggy just gotta keep options open when i can if this boat shop decides to keel over and capsize... and as for harbor freight LED's i have every single trailer i own, friends own and even about 15 of my customers and not a single complaint yet... i ave used probably 30 sets and not one yet has had any problem... just be sure to use the heat shrink sealed but connectors as the wiring is standard copper vversus tinned copper so you do not want any water getting into the splices

and rover... they do make solider/ heatshrink crimp connectors that crimp just like the blue crapy cheepos but the heat required to shrink and seal the heat shrink portion activates and sliders the connector... save ya a step with the tube of silly cone

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
Alterative settup

Alterative settup

I always set up my trailer lights with sealed wiring then I drill a hole in the top and bottom of the housing and put a thick layer of Vaseline on bulb contacts before I insert it into the socket. And yes, I do disconnect the pigtail before I let them get wet...... The hole in the housing allows the water to drain faster so I never have problems blowing a bulb.

GD