Trailbridge trip success

• Thread starter Hooked on fishin'
  • Start date
H

Hooked on fishin'

We just got back from the trip, and it was wonderful! I didn't have any luck at trailbridge, but we managed to catch and release a few small rainbows at Smith reservoir. There were plenty of fish, I could see them chasing my lures, just could not get them to commit. We also went to carmen reservoir where I caught a nice 16 inch cutthroat and my wife caught a rainbow, we had them for dinner and they were great!! Today we went to Leaburg I caught a 14 inch rainbow. Im gonna try to upload some pics.

T

Thuggin4Life

That is the weirdest rainbow or cutthrought I have ever seen. Are you sure that isn't a brown?

D

Drew9870

Banned User
I believe thats a Bull Trout because I see no red under the gill.

Bull Trout (from what I last heard) are illegal to be removed from the water.

F

FishSchooler

But bull trout have almost a solid grey color with orangish spots.

Chromatose

Chromatose

bulltrout.png

I read a quote once " If there is no black, put it back"

Good read about your trip...........

Last edited:
H

Hooked on fishin'

That is the weirdest rainbow or cutthrought I have ever seen. Are you sure that isn't a brown?

I believe its called a coastal cutthroat, they actually had a poster at the campsite with photos of bull, brook and cutthroats, this fish looked the same as the cutt. The bull have dark background with light spots, mine was covered wih black spots, and yes bull's are still protected.

H

Hooked on fishin'

here is another pic of that cutthroat, you can see it a little better...

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Thuggin4Life

I guess it is a cuttrought but I have never seen a cuttrought that dark. The ones I have always caught have had a colored cut and are colored like a rainbow without the red side.

J

JAYDEE

It's a cutt for sure ive caught them out of carmen resiviour also. Beautiful fish bro.:)

Last edited:
H

Hooked on fishin'

Gonna have to add another fish to the hit list.

I hear ya! I hope to get back up there soon, maybe later this month, without the kids!! Then I can actually get to the lake early and fish till I am ready to leave!:D

H

halibuthitman

looks like a cuttbow to me. But mabey just a male cutthroat, they are considerably darker on the the spine, I hear people discussing trout all the time, but often everyones theory on a fish is correct for the region they grew up in or used to live. from redding california north to vancouver island and from the west coast to the midwest there are 14 subspecies of cutthroat trout. nine of those inhabit waters within 120 miles of dowmntown Portland, 4 rivers in eastern and central Oregon have their own exclusive subspecies and 2 lakes have their own, a searun cut and a resident cut in coastal rivers are seperate species altogether, and then in any watershed that contains rainbows and cuts you get a fertile hybrid called a cuttbow. I have caught 7 of the subspecies and can assure you they all have a very unique paintjob, and the throat slash is not always very prominent.

Last edited:
M

michaelkim9582

i don't care what type of trout it is, good fish none the less. Nice Catch!!

M

Mike123

That's a Cutt. NOT a Bull Trout.

I just went to Trail Bridge for 3 days. I caught 3 Bull trout. One of them was about 4lbs. and the other two were pounders. Caught about 50 rainbows or so, the biggest was 20", lost one that was bigger. Just because you can't use bait in TB doesn't mean you can't do well. I used pink and purple micro jigs for them. The bulls bit on the black and silver ones.

I should have pics up soon.

Last edited:
H

Hooked on fishin'

That's a Cutt. NOT a Bull Trout.

I just went to Trail Bridge for 3 days. I caught 3 Bull trout. One of them was about 4lbs. and the other two were pounders. Caught about 50 rainbows or so, the biggest was 20", lost one that was bigger. Just because you can't use bait in TB doesn't mean you can't do well. I used pink and purple micro jigs for them and a silver and black one for Bulls.

I should have pics up soon.

great job!! i could not hook one in trailbridge, I was fishing from the bank, and saw a ton of fish follow my lures, just did not find the right one. Of course I did not spend as much time as I wanted fishing 'cuz we had the kids with us!(three girls only one interested in fishing) thats why we went to the other reservoirs so they could learn to fish some.

M

Mike123

great job!! i could not hook one in trailbridge, I was fishing from the bank, and saw a ton of fish follow my lures, just did not find the right one. Of course I did not spend as much time as I wanted fishing 'cuz we had the kids with us!(three girls only one interested in fishing) thats why we went to the other reservoirs so they could learn to fish some.

I've done real well with small panther martins and roostertails.. we fished from the bank too, but caught wayyy more in the boat.
Oh and to clear things up, I wasn't targeting the Bull Trout, but you can't control what fish bites your hook. ;)
And the OSP needs to start writing tickets for people using BAIT in that lake!! I saw one group of people just hammering the fish on Powerbait!
That fishing in TB has gotten to be awesome and fish are growing BIG, as well as the Bull Trout have really populated! I think all this has happened because people can't use bait so they dont fish it. The camp host came down and told us we could catch many if we fished TB, and to go fish Smith Res. instead. I just laughed. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A

adambomb

here is what a cuttbow out of the molalla river looks like, so far I have only caught the one.

Top Bottom