Town run steel!

E

everett464

I went to the Willamette on Friday, and caught up with my first Steel on a fly rod. Then today, I did it again!

On Friday I hooked up early, on a weighted fly, but he took a HUGE run, and I lost him when I palmed the spool a little too hard. Then, about twenty minutes later I got into another, on the same fly, but he snapped my knot as soon as he made his first move.

Then, after I quickly tied on another fly, I cast once, twice into the top of a riffle, and BAM! I played the fish for about five minutes, and we finally got him into the net. Unfortunately, my buddy who was working the net, went to untangle the line with the net still over the water, and... well, you know the rest of this story.

Today, we decided to go out and get that fish into the boat. We fished for four hours, and stopped for coffee after being thoroughly abused all morning. We had not gotten so much as a bite.

I told my buddy that I thought it was going to be one of those days where you just start feeling really miserable when you'd get a rush, and as if on cue, we got the rush.

My buddy got two hook-ups, which he played well, but ultimately lost (who steelheads intentionally with a 5-wt?). Then, I decided to switch my fly. First cast with my MOAL leach, and KAPOW! I played the fish, and it ran, then I played it, and it ran, then I finally got it to the boat, and tadaa! In the boat.

Super fun, and good eatin' too!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

metalfisher76

That`s good steelheadin right there!!

B

bigsteel

Excellent job man,,were goin for steelies on the mckenzie tomorrow

T

Thuggin4Life

Sweet man! So i take it you got yourself a bigger fly rod for steel? Nice fish.

I just heard from my moms other half who was up at there friends house on the mckenzie whos nieghboor helps float the river and stock fish when they plant fish to get them more spread out that they just dumped 250 steelhead back in the mac. this is a report from yesterday. too bad he is a drunk and the numbers in stories change all the time so who knows the real count but for sure they did just recycle some fish below leaburg just not sure if it was yesterday or just yesterday was when they guy told him. good luck.

E

everett464

Yeah, I bit the bullet and picked up an 8 wt this Summer. So far so good with two Steelhead and 3 Springers landed.

Thanks for the tip on that, I may have to run up there soon.

R

rippin fish lips

Yeah i did the float on thursday and came home with a 24 inche steelhead and caught a nice size smallie.

N

nwkiller

nice job man, think there is good steel numbers in there? im busy gettin chinook but who wouldnt like to fish in our back yard.

R

rippin fish lips

There isn't good steelhead numbers at all in there right now, It's slowwwwww fishing

C

cobias

Good job everett ! I know you were just drooling to get one on a fly rod ! And yes, there is a pile load of fish there but when i fish for summers and not fall nooks in fall....it feels weird. Got fall nooks on the brain. I might hit it later in the week if im not workin. And somone needs to update the pics on the headline board. Wana see this up there.

E

everett464

Thanks Cobi! We should get out on your boat one of these weekends. I mean, I know it is a killer drive to get out to Aspen Street, but maybe we should do it anyway.

S

Steelyfishn

The Town Run has been very productive for me as well. However I completely agree with Cobias and it does feel wierd not Fishn for fall nooks. Anyways heres a pic from last week. 3 hookups and the pics tell the rest of the story...

Attachments

• Blackberry pics 9-30-10 004.jpg
    Blackberry pics 9-30-10 004.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 48
O

OnTheFly

Good action everett! Way to put that new 8wt to good use.

F

fishduck

Since the topic is city-run Steelies and I was with Everett last Friday, thought I'd show off my prize from this morning. I was wading out at Island Park when I hooked this 28" chromer. First steel on a fly for me, what a blast! Willamette Steelhead #1.jpg