Town run Eugene steelhead

sambone
sambone
I live in Eugene and have been spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to get on some of these summers that run from dexter to eugene. Was just wondering if anyone knows how long this run typically lasts or what time of the year it will start to get harder. Also if anyone has any tips id appreciate it. Ive just been casting lots of spinners in different parts of the run. Bank fishing only

troutdude
troutdude
Fellow OFFer @jamisonace knows that stretch better than anyone else that I know. Hopefully he will chime in, with some ideas.

P.S. Technically they run the other way around, from Eugene upstream to Dexter. ;-)

jamisonace
jamisonace
July and August can be tough but you'll catch some. Fish early. I would spend most of my efforts around Island Park. Spinners are probably best from the bank but access limits you. Wade out to the island and toss spinners into the riffle at the head of the island in the channel farthest from the park.

Reactions: troutdude
sambone
sambone
@jamisonace Alright thanks for the advice. I spent a couple evenings at island park. Are you talking about the riffle on the right side of the boat ramp that meets with the deeper pool that flows out from the middle? Ive heard the stretch of water right after the rock flats in front of roaring rapids can be good too if you can wade out in the middle. How is the fishing later in the day when the sun sets?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Keep in mind I moved to Roseburg and haven't fished the town run for a few years but afternoons and evenings were good too. Mornings just always seemed best.

The riffle I mean is all the way across the river. At low water you should be able to get to it. Get to the upstream point of the island and you'll be looking right into it.

Also fish the channel on that same side between the train bridge and the car bridges.

sambone
sambone
I went and checked it out this evening, hooked onto a fish with a 1/2 oz spoon along the other side of the bank in that spot.. didn't get a look at it before it unfortunately came off. Was at least a big trout. Gave me some hope though, thanks for the advice.

Reactions: jamisonace and Admin
sambone
sambone
finally hooked onto a nice size steelie, wasn't ready for it and it broke my lure off. very sad day lol

• Wow
Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Well at least you now know that you were presenting your lure in the strike zone; and it was in a pocket where there was a fish. All part of the learning process.

Admin
Admin
yeh, and you know now what is a drag for )
and probably that you need to watch how to tie knots.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Being ready isn't the issue when they break off. Maybe when you miss the fish all together. Check drag, knots and make sure your line isn't old and weak.

sambone
sambone
jamisonace said:
Being ready isn't the issue when they break off. Maybe when you miss the fish all together. Check drag, knots and make sure your line isn't old and w
I wasn't prepared for how strong the fish was and was kind of in shock that i finally hooked one, i panicked and had my drag locked for a second and it just broke off.

Artwo
Artwo
It all in the details, little things. You fish hard all day and might only get that one chance so you need to make sure all the little things are where they need to be like drag, knots, line (no kinks or abrasions), etc. Takes but seconds to retie a knot, replace a leader, and so on so discipline is key.........tight lines and go find another.

jamisonace
jamisonace
sambone said:
I wasn't prepared for how strong the fish was and was kind of in shock that i finally hooked one, i panicked and had my drag locked for a second and it just broke off.
Exactly....check your drag and you'll be ready. We've all been there.