Tourist looking for a place to fish.

K
kokanne
Hi, I will be visiting the Portland area on the June 13th, 14th weekend, thinking about fishing on the 13th. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a place to go fishing for bass or sunfish close to Portland. We do not have these in our area so I thought it would be fun to try for these. I am from Vancouver, BC, will have my float tube and fly rod, and will probably be dropped off anywhere we fish. Therefore, it cannot be too far from Portland since the women prefer to go shopping. Any help would be appreciated and I can give you the hot spots if you are planning to come up to Vancouver, Canada.

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome to OFF...

Welcome to OFF...

kokanne said:
Hi, I will be visiting the Portland area on the June 13th, 14th weekend, thinking about fishing on the 13th. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a place to go fishing for bass or sunfish close to Portland. We do not have these in our area so I thought it would be fun to try for these. I am from Vancouver, BC, will have my float tube and fly rod, and will probably be dropped off anywhere we fish. Therefore, it cannot be too far from Portland since the women prefer to go shopping. Any help would be appreciated and I can give you the hot spots if you are planning to come up to Vancouver, Canada.

I would like to welcome you to the site, I wish I had some information for you but I live down south and don't know the local holes for sun fish. Be patient one of our members will chime in and hopefully hook you up with a honey hole.
Welcome to Oregon and tight lines to you...

Chuck

K
kokanne
Thank you chuck,

I would love to fish down further south sometime too but it will have to be another trip. I have fished along the coast before around the Coos Bay area and that was fantastic. Hoping I can find some fishing like that around the Portland / Vancouver area.

R
redhawk50
I have yet to fish at these locations but there is supposed to be good smallmouth bass action in the ponds out on 84 between the highway and the gorge. I have driven by those places quiet a bit and seen float tubes out there. It does have the potential to get really windy though. I think there are other species of fish as well. I know there is a pond/lake near the Wahkeenah(sp) falls that I have read on here is good and easy access but may be a swimming hole on the weekend. I am tempted to go out there this weekend if I do I will let you know but I have papers to grade up the wazoo. But that is near the Troutdale outlet malls.

K
kokanne
Thank you raincatcher. That is an excellent site. I picked two lakes from that site I would love to try. Wish I had more time. Smith Lake and Vernonia Lake sound interesting to me and look to be good size for tubing.

Thank you redhawk. Those sound interesting too. How far is the gorge on Highway 84 from Gresham? I looked on a map that I have and it does not show a gorge or very many lakes along that highway. Maybe they are just too small for my map, which is probably perfect for tubing. I look forward to hearing your report. One of the girls going who is a schoolteacher also is complaining about grading papers also, before we go. She was planning to do it that weekend.

I think the girls have there plans for outlet shopping lay out probably weeks ahead and I believe Troutdale mall is on there list. LOL! Therefore, I am not going to worry about them, now we guys just need to get into some fish. :pray:

R
redhawk50
Negative on the report happening. Freaking budget meetings didn't get time to grade papers. Sorry! Wish I was able to get out.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
The "Gorge"

The "Gorge"

kokanne said:
Thank you raincatcher. That is an excellent site. I picked two lakes from that site I would love to try. Wish I had more time. Smith Lake and Vernonia Lake sound interesting to me and look to be good size for tubing.

Thank you redhawk. Those sound interesting too. How far is the gorge on Highway 84 from Gresham? I looked on a map that I have and it does not show a gorge or very many lakes along that highway. Maybe they are just too small for my map, which is probably perfect for tubing. I look forward to hearing your report. One of the girls going who is a schoolteacher also is complaining about grading papers also, before we go. She was planning to do it that weekend.

I think the girls have there plans for outlet shopping lay out probably weeks ahead and I believe Troutdale mall is on there list. LOL! Therefore, I am not going to worry about them, now we guys just need to get into some fish. :pray:

kokanne;
The "gorge" is actually what we call the Columbia River waterway from Gresham to about Hood River. If you are in Gresham,you are practically in the gorge. The Columbia is definitely NOT for tubing! It is beautiful,but extremely dangerous. There are a few lakes out that way:Benson and Blue Lake are the only ones that come to mind this early in the morning. Check back a day or so before you leave and there could be more info for you. Good luck.
Be safe.
Barb

K
kokanne
Hi Raincatcher, thanks for all the info. I was looking at Google maps and I cannot spot those two lakes, Benson & Blue Lake, at least by name. Can you give me an indication of where it is? I see a couple lakes between Crown Point and Rooster Rock State Park. Am I in the ballpark of where those lakes are? In addition, the lakes that I mentioned, are they fishable? Thank you!

M
MontanaMoose
Lacacamas Lake...

Lacacamas Lake...

Hello kokanne, if you haven't picked up a license yet, take the 205 bridge, head for Camas, find sr 500 and you can go up and check out Lacacamas Lake and park. It's free fishing days here in wa where i am and of course in or where you are also. The lake and park are fee free. There are bass, gill and yellow perch, maybe even trout still. Just an option, hope it helps.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose