Tough year for springers

F
Fishnsleep
For four or five trips, only managed one, native, released after quick photo. In the Multnomah Channel May 04, 2019, I hope the coho run is as good as predicted.

201905041springer.jpg

Reactions: Admin, madasahab and bd2cool
madasahab
madasahab
I sure hope things get better after a piss poor steelhead season and now a lousy spring run. Even last fall wasn’t much to speak of. Heck it’s bad on the whole west coast of North America. What happened to all the fish!

Reactions: bd2cool
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Pacific decadal oscillator.
Warm water blob.
Climate change driving higher ocean temperatures.
Dams.
Preditors (often taking advantage of man made factors).
Reduced/degraded Spawning habitat.
Over fishing.

Reactions: madasahab
M
markasd
We are just now dealing with the results of an over fished oceans. Not much for the food chain to work properly, salmon/steelhead aren’t the inky suffering out there.
Spawning habitat has been terrible for years, only in recent years has there been emphasis on restoration, however not near enough.
20+ years of glacier reduction, warm waters naturally cycling.. on a positive note - glaciers have been rebuilding so theres something!
Hatchery production is questionable at best.
ODFW and agencies responsible are so admin heavy, the monies needed are spent in all the paper pushing and not leg work.
Can only hope for better runs to come.

Reactions: madasahab and bd2cool
S
Snopro
markasd said:
on a positive note - glaciers have been rebuilding so theres something!

Where?

Aervax
Aervax
Sometimes it snows more in one place than another. That is variability in local weather, not evidence against global climate change. At this very moment so many glaciers are melting globally that the ocean levels are actually rising. I am willing to bet the guy who is compiling lists about glaciers increasing, and claiming we are headed into the next ice age is also making a bunch of money selling books denying that climate change is real.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Aervax said:
Sometimes it snows more in one place than another. That is variability in local weather, not evidence against global climate change. At this very moment so many glaciers are melting globally that the ocean levels are actually rising. I am willing to bet the guy who is compiling lists about glaciers increasing, and claiming we are headed into the next ice age is also making a bunch of money selling books denying that climate change is real.

Exactly, he's a crank running a website and trying to sell books.

Reactions: bd2cool and Aervax
S
Snopro
Aervax said:
I am willing to bet the guy who is compiling lists about glaciers increasing, and claiming we are headed into the next ice age is also making a bunch of money selling books denying that climate change is real.

He pegs the Kook meter at 11.

Robert W. Felix - RationalWiki

Reactions: bd2cool, Aervax and rogerdodger
M
markasd
Ok.
I’ll continue to be a bit more optimistic..
So weather can not be cyclical?
Guess we all have to ride it out to see, as no one really knows.

Reminds me why I don’t post here much... love getting quoted and lol’ed.. that’s always cool.

Aervax
Aervax
markasd said:
Ok.
I’ll continue to be a bit more optimistic..
So weather can not be cyclical?
Guess we all have to ride it out to see, as no one really knows.

Reminds me why I don’t post here much... love getting quoted and lol’ed.. that’s always cool.

I apologize the conversation took on a personal affront. That was not my intention. I wanted to clarify the facts. I should have realized piling on was inevitable. I guess on a website filled with a bunch of independent thinking thick headed #@*# fisherman we need tougher skin and more of a sense of humor than the average bear to stay afloat. You may have also hit on a hotter button than expected there.

I am glad you brought it up though, because until today I had never seen that website. I might not agree with it, but I am always interested in hearing other perspectives.

There is some interesting research that was done on where ice age now came up with their figures for glacier advancement and why the story became so complicated in the public sphere. I happen to love looking into this stuff. Here is the article about it in case anyone wants to dig deeper on why ice age now is getting press on this subject: George Monbiot: Junk Science

M
markasd
Ya - we're on this rock such a short time, why not just be dicks while we're here right?

I try- have to be optimistic raising youth in this F($*( world... I have to try and explain why people act the way they do towards other folks with maybe a different outlook on life or the world.

Its all good though.. I probably did hit a hot button on a subject Im tired of hearing only pessimism on. It gets old and depressing.

I like how you all have it figured out though, so I'll just keep tabs from here out.. mouth shut.

Good luck

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Aervax said:
I am glad you brought it up though, because until today I had never seen that website. I might not agree with it, but I am always interested in hearing other perspectives.

But I hope most of us agree, a crackpot making things up and putting them on a website isn't really 'hearing other perspectives', it's just BS being spread around. Like those flat Earth morons...'lol' is the polite response.

The bad news to consider is that we are currently near a local minima of solar radiation, due to turn around soon and start increasing again...

The Stanford Solar Center is a great resource, this is a few years old and things are worse now (CO2 over 400ppm)...

http://solar-center.stanford.edu/sun-on-earth/FAQ2.html
https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/webdata/ccgg/trends/co2_trend_all_gl.png

M
markasd
So glaciers havent actshually grown?
you measure these and track progress?
Ok
crackpot or not, glaciers have grown a little.

lol

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Perspective helps!

S
Snopro
markasd said:
So glaciers havent actshually grown?
you measure these and track progress?
Ok
crackpot or not, glaciers have grown a little.

lol
I think the problem is the way you use the word "glaciers". It gives the connotation you are talking about all glaciers. If you were to say a specific glacier has grown (not surprising given the shift in weather patterns) I would agree it's probable. But I think 99% of the world's glaciers have shrunk in the last 20 years.

One thing I noticed about the list Felix compiled was there weren't any recent additions to his growing glacier article list. I think the most recent was about 10 years old.

BTW, other than the glacier bit I pretty much agree with all the other points in your original post. You speak to things we can see as positives. Court mandated minimum spill over the lower Columbia River dams is a big one.

Last edited:
hobster
hobster
GaryP1958 said:
You have anything better than cartoons?
Gary adding nothing but sarcasm as per usual. The glaciers are melting before our eyes, anyone who does not realize this...... no comment. markasd I appreciate you trying to be positive but facts are facts.