Tough day in Salem

Ryno11

Tough day on the Willy today. Fished under the bridges and the slough by the globe. Not even a bite. Fairly new to bass fishing, any suggestions on where the smallies may be moving to?

JMac

I've gotten skunked on my last couple of Willamette trips as well.
I fished above the falls around Rock Island a couple of weekends ago and didn't get so much as a nibble either. Had to contend with a fair amount of current and some strong winds too. I threw everything at em but the kitchen sink.... crank baits, ned rig, lipless cranks, drop shot worms and shad.
Like you, I'm new to fishing for smallmouth in the PNW and have much to learn.
Hopefully someone here will have some tips as I'd really like to figure out how to pick off a few smallies here and there in the fall and winter.

fromthelogo

Generally, the reason I fish for warm water fish is that you fish when it is warm so I don’t go out much late Fall. My son is coming into town this weekend and wants to go out Sunday. We generally fish the Willamette from downtown Portland to Lake O. I’ll let you know how we do. Looks like the water temp is down to about 45 so I think we’ll fish slow with Ned rigs and jigs.

Ryno11

Generally, the reason I fish for warm water fish is that you fish when it is warm so I don’t go out much late Fall. My son is coming into town this weekend and wants to go out Sunday. We generally fish the Willamette from downtown Portland to Lake O. I’ll let you know how we do. Looks like the water temp is down to about 45 so I think we’ll fish slow with Ned rigs and jigs.
I’d love to hear how you do! Good luck and tight lines.

bass

Most Featured
Good luck @fromthelogo !

I made a brief attempt at bass around Swan island on my last sturgeon trip but I did not have any success, but I never have great success in that area. The L.O. area is definitely my favorite bass fishing area in the lower river, but I have not fished it this time of year. I am really curious to see how you do. I am not sure what depths the fish will be at this time of year.

I am hoping to fish somewhere on Sunday, not sure where I will go, but if I hit the Willie I will focus on sturgeon. I like to fish for the easiest fish :) Supposed to be really light to no wind this weekend which is sweet for deep water bass fishing.

fromthelogo

We fished from Willamette Park in John’s Landing to Rogers Park in Lake O this morning. Water temp was 45 and there was a pretty good breeze blowing us up river the entire time. Fished lots of various soft plastics. Not a single bite. We did catch a fishing pole and reel that looked like it was submerged for quite a while.

bass

Most Featured
Was the rod and reel hatchery or native :)

Might want to calibrate your temp sensor (I had to shift mine by 2 degrees). Reported river temp in Portland is 47 to 48 degrees.

I spent about an hour and half fishing for bass at Hagg on Saturday. I caught 2 smallmouths both around 1.5lbs on a drop shot. Water temp at Hagg was 52.5 degrees. Certainly not blistering action but fun to catch bass in November. Also glad to have the 5 extra degrees of water temp compared to the Willamette as well!

Top Bottom