topwater weed casting...

C
c_13_b
I have been gettin a lil frustrated lately with the outcome of my bass fishing adventures. I have landed about 7 or 8 bass this year, all on some variation of plastic frogs in shallow weedbeds. I usually jig the (texas-rigged w/ offset shank hook) frog across the top of the weeds. The problem is that over the course of about 6 outings I have missed about 20 topwater bass strikes. At first I thought it was a particular bait I was tossing was getting spit right away. Then I went back to other brand of frogs I have had success with before, I have lost over ten off these proven baits. I feel like I doin the same things I have tried before, but less catch.

Don't get me wrong, it is still way fun to see a bass try to demolish your bait. On the other hand, I want to catch, photo, release these beasts. I know a couple of the strikes were from 5+lbs. of bass. I also know that a couple of the strikes were just plain missed strikes. I have tried fast setting the hook and waiting until I feel a lil tug before setting the hook, still emptied handed.

I need some advice...

G
gonefirefighting
top water obstruction lures are pretty tricky to get big ones landed with. the smaller ones tend to swallow the lure with aggression, In my experiences with frogs, mice, and other floating vegetaion lures is to twitch moderately but retrieve slow and let the fish take it under before setting the hook.

9 times out of ten the big bass will grab it, go under and then swallow it. it took me a while to get the patience to hold back from setting the hook when the initial strike happens.

hope this helps ya out!

C
cavdad45
gonefirefighting said:
retrieve slow and let the fish take it under before setting the hook.

1. That's the true key.
2. Easier said than done, especially when your heart's racing after a big bass blow-up!

F
flippinbaits
dont try the fast hook set it wont work! many times the fish just slap at the bait, then will come back for it. use braided line and a stout rod for a good hookset. If your using mono of fluro u are cheatin urself out of fish. Wait a couple seconds which will feel like forever until ur rod loads, then let all he** lose on the hook set!
good luck!

C
c_13_b
Topwater fishing...

Topwater fishing...

Thanks for the advice fellas! I am goin out for tonights bite, lets see if I can execute.

What kinds of baits do you guys throw on these warm sunny days (post spawn?)??

T
Troutier Bassier
Poppers or Anything that makes a lot of Noise.

F
Finneus Polebender
patience

patience

that would prob be the case went through a stretch myself like that had to learn to wait till ya feel em . I was definitely too quick on the hook set like others have said fish may hit the same bait more than once before actually wolfin it . So hard to do when your excited but after you calm down you can slow down and wait till you feel sumthin then you get aggressive on the set most weedless take some umph to pop that hook through the bait. thats another mistake made too light on the set . bass are tough lipped and the serious dudes use insane heavy test line so they can really lay it to em withiut worrying about the dreaded line snap,and to take away the bass ability to peel line till it gets to its snag pile and resets the hook on a snag so it can tear itself from the hook . 7 + pounders are notorious for this kind of action they dont get that way by being dumb

T
Troutier Bassier
Oh, Btw, I Bought Rapala X-Rap today, They look Awesome. I casted them In my pool and They look like a Real Minnow, I actually thought there was a minnow in my Pool! Lol. But if you stop it in the middle of your retrieve, It wont sink or Float up to the surace, It SATYS IN ONE SPOT! DOSENT EVEN MOVE!.

I havent tested it yet But I will on Sunday, I will tell all the Results.
The only problem for me they are subsurface which means they only go like 1 foot maximum dow. So you will see the strikes as you get them but you have to fish REAL shallow water or very Clear water.

N
ninja2010
i've rigged my frogs with weedless stinger and that helps sometimes when the bass strike short. but yeah, like everyone else sez... patience is the key, wait for the load up and then swing like the samurai.

N
ninja2010
Troutier Bassier said:
The only problem for me they are subsurface which means they only go like 1 foot maximum dow. So you will see the strikes as you get them but you have to fish REAL shallow water or very Clear water.

jerk the x-rap... it'll trigger some explosive reaction strikes that will stop your heart... they don't have to go deep, the bass will rise to them...

they'll fish like the bomber lures or berkley frenzy.

but they're no good for weedy areas.

T
Troutier Bassier
Yeah where Im going fishing tomarrow for bass, There is current and It is about 6 feet deep soooo.
But I have one that runs deep.