Top producing fall chinook spinner

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Hi, I am primarily a bobber fisherman in the fall but I am going to do some trolling. I have caught lots of salmon on herring, and they will be in the boat, but I was curious what spinner everyone gets the most attention on? Thanks for the replies

C_Run
C_Run
I'm pretty confident in #5 Blue Fox either black body and silver and chartreuse blade or pink body and silver blade. I've also trolled Bob Toman - spinners with pink and white blades and a hootchie.

Reactions: Utahutes
troutdude
troutdude
If you're banking it...and the current flow is low like it is now...and it's a foggy, cloudy, maybe drizzly day...all black spinners will KILL 'em! Black body, black blade, black clevis, and even black tubing over hook shank. I make my own.

Reactions: Utahutes and beavis
troutdude
troutdude
troutdude said:
If you're banking it...casting and retrieving...and the current flow is low like it is now...and it's a foggy, cloudy, maybe drizzly day...all black spinners will KILL 'em! Black body, black blade, black clevis, and even black tubing over hook shank. I make my own. Size 2 or 3.

Reactions: Utahutes
Casting Call
Casting Call
Homemade!!!! Tony

Reactions: troutdude and beavis
Irishrover
Irishrover
Home made too. I like a size 7 blade called a fire and ice. It's have bright orange and half white. The back side is brass. It's been a standard for years.

C
CastingCall
The spinner backside is what the fish sees 90% of the chase. The front is 10% flasher. WTBS a dot of glow in the dark and a sliver of same has all ways been my go to. My latest go to is to trail behind a 360. Tony

Reactions: Irishrover
Irishrover
Irishrover
"The spinner backside is what the fish sees 90% of the chase."

That make a lot of sense Tony. I like it.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Thanks for all the replies. I went out yesterday trolling a Simon 3.5 in Mexican hat color. I had 3 take downs, one was hooked and all came off at some point. My friend had one take down on a green and yellow Simon, also did not get hooked. Those loss rates are unacceptable, it’s time to take the stock hooks off and rebuild. Has anyone else he terrible landing ratios trolling Simon spinners behind a pro troll?

P
Pni_fisherdude
I have hooked a lot and lost a lot on the spinner/protroll and I find that getting a good Hookset is hard, so I try to set the hook by throttling up until the rod is in hand and angler is reeling. The other thing to consider is the amount of weight used. When trolling with weight upwards of 12oz it can be difficult to differentiate between fighting the fish and fighting the weight. So fighting through the weight and making sure to feel the headshakes/fish is crucial. Others might have different opinions but this is what I have found to help in my "success".

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
O. mykiss said:
Thanks for all the replies. I went out yesterday trolling a Simon 3.5 in Mexican hat color. I had 3 take downs, one was hooked and all came off at some point. My friend had one take down on a green and yellow Simon, also did not get hooked. Those loss rates are unacceptable, it’s time to take the stock hooks off and rebuild. Has anyone else he terrible landing ratios trolling Simon spinners behind a pro troll?

The recommendation I got (from a guide that knows his stuff) is to add a 4-0 trailing hook an inch or 2 behind the treble that comes on the 3.5 spinner. ;)

Reactions: O. mykiss
O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Pni_fisherdude said:
I have hooked a lot and lost a lot on the spinner/protroll and I find that getting a good Hookset is hard, so I try to set the hook by throttling up until the rod is in hand and angler is reeling. The other thing to consider is the amount of weight used. When trolling with weight upwards of 12oz it can be difficult to differentiate between fighting the fish and fighting the weight. So fighting through the weight and making sure to feel the headshakes/fish is crucial. Others might have different opinions but this is what I have found to help in my "success".

I was running 6 oz cannon balls. After maybe being a little jumpy on the first take, I left the rod in the holder and kept trolling until line was pulling off of the reel with the 2nd and 3rd fish. I’ve been trolling plug cut bait for a long time and I’ve never had such terrible landing rates