toon tips needed

B

buddah426

so late last year i bought a creek company odc xl on clearance at joes. was kind of hesitant due to the price but was too good to pass up ($159). i have had it out in the lakes a couple times and now i am adding some mods to it. i have a buddy that wants me to float the clack w/ him (feldinhimer-barton) but he has a nice expensive model w/ dual bladders. my q' is will my cheaper toon w/ single bladders be sufficient to hit the rivers? i was thinking about cutting a couple truck inner tubes open and lining the bottom of the bladders with them for added protection.

i guess im just parinoid but we do that float tubin in the summer and i'd hate to break down between them since it's the middle of nowhere and not much chance of quick walk to help. what do some of the toon pro's here think? will i be ok or should i wait till upgrade to hit the rivers? thanks....

D

Dichrofisher

I had that toon and I was always afraid of the river with it. That's why I went to a hardshell kayak. I did enjoy modifying it though. The reinforsement on the bladders is a great idea. That was what scared me, the bladders after a few years, or the nylon being so thin. Wear a life jacket and be ready for anything, that way you will be prepared. I do still wish I had that toon for the bass thing at Delta.

G

GraphiteZen

If you're not confidant I would line them. The last thing you want is to get popped on a strainer :rolleyes:.

Also, you MUST have a spare set of oar locks and several of whatever type of pin hold them in the riser. And if those pins look weak, or are just key-rings replace them with double cotter pins.

Take your pump, make sure your seat is locked down tight, and double check your straps

And about your buddies double bladder is it a Cougar? Generally single bladder units are more buoyant than the ones with two little bladders side by side so your good.

I think the one you have is the same one Smallie world has and we hit some rapids on the Umpqua that had, as Troutski so eloquantly termed, definite "pucker factor" (still cracks me up) and his did fine. I wouldn't stress it, just mind yourself and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
C

Combat Chuck

At the very least get a good emergency repair kit. There are some that include extra material and has fast dry glue. Not sure if CrkCo makes em but I carry an outcast one thats about $30. Its really eased my mind about rivers.

J

JeannaJigs

so late last year i bought a creek company odc xl on clearance at joes. was kind of hesitant due to the price but was too good to pass up ($159). i have had it out in the lakes a couple times and now i am adding some mods to it. i have a buddy that wants me to float the clack w/ him (feldinhimer-barton) but he has a nice expensive model w/ dual bladders. my q' is will my cheaper toon w/ single bladders be sufficient to hit the rivers? i was thinking about cutting a couple truck inner tubes open and lining the bottom of the bladders with them for added protection.

i guess im just parinoid but we do that float tubin in the summer and i'd hate to break down between them since it's the middle of nowhere and not much chance of quick walk to help. what do some of the toon pro's here think? will i be ok or should i wait till upgrade to hit the rivers? thanks....

I have the same boat, got it several years ago...took it down the river for the first time this year..and I'm still here :) It handles VERY well, I was amazed actually...Just make sure you have your pump (cold water=deflation) and a patch kit, just in case. And the oar locks that come with it..SUCK. replace them, with a quickness. I had one pop out going through a rapid, sucked in a big way, I got through holding on with a kung fu grip and using just the right oar...but it was sketch.

That little boat will serve you well :) Have some faith.

A

ArcticAmoeba

Buddah, your 'toon will handle the Feldheimer down stretch just fine. Below Barton you run into some shallows, that pumps have trouble running up in less than 12 feet of water. So I think you should be fine, and I have sidedrifted more than a few Steelhead out of that drift this year from the 'toon. Good luck man.

Top Bottom