Too early for carp?

C
chevyman2001
Well I'm going to see what I can do today. It's been awhile since I have caught I nice big carp and I can't wait any longer. The water is low I just hope it's not to cold. I'm going to try a part of the Willamette down in milwaukie. I'm going to try using corn and bread. I might try something new?. I will keep you guys updated.

F
FishOn420
chevyman2001 said:
Well I'm going to see what I can do today. It's been awhile since I have caught I nice big carp and I can't wait any longer. The water is low I just hope it's not to cold. I'm going to try a part of the Willamette down in milwaukie. I'm going to try using corn and bread. I might try something new��. I will keep you guys updated.

I was fishing the waterfront just a few weeks ago and caught 2 decent size carp. Best of luck!

plumbertom
plumbertom
Do you just C&R your carp?
I was looking for a video I seen some time back on one of the forums about filleting carp to remove those Y bones.
I'm told once the bones are out they make good table fare.
My dad always told me that the way to prepare carp was get a flat fillet board lay the carp on it and then beat it flat with a mallet, scrape the carp off the board, throw away the carp and eat the board.

M
montym
They do taste good if you know how to cook it, some of us actually prefer carp to salmon. Now I am going to go hide behind the sofa ☺

F
FishOn420
plumbertom said:
I was looking for a video I seen some time back on one of the forums about filleting carp to remove those Y bones.
My dad always told me that the way to prepare carp was get a flat fillet board lay the carp on it and then beat it flat with a mallet, scrape the carp off the board, throw away the carp and eat the board.

I did just C&R my carp. I used to keep my carp and eat them but they were too boney. After I cleaned them I did my best to fillet it but I must not have done a good job because they were boney as hell.

M
montym
FishOn420 said:
I did just C&R my carp. I used to keep my carp and eat them but they were too boney. After I cleaned them I did my best to fillet it but I must not have done a good job because they were boney as hell.

The easiest way to debone is with your fingers after cooking. I know most of you would not prefer that, but it can be done with knife and fork also. We actually prefer fish with bones and all in most dishes. Don't mind me saying this, but carp is actually fairly easy to eat with some practice and in my scale of bony fish I would put carp at probably 3 or 4 out of 10. At 10 I would put Hilsa. That fish is incredibly bony, but you probably will not find a better tasting fresh water fish. I have stopped eating Hilsa now, can't afford the time :)

In the last one year I have caught my very first rainbow, cutthroat, sucker fish, coho, chinook, steelhead, crappie, bass, bluegill and perch. This year I have to get a carp in that list. Been out a couple of times already, but as usual no bites.

Cheers
Monty

M
MikePierce170
montym said:
They do taste good if you know how to cook it, some of us actually prefer carp to salmon. Now I am going to go hide behind the sofa ☺

There is something seriously wrong with your taste buds.

C
chevyman2001
plumbertom said:

Haha I have heard that before. I honestly would try and eat one. I don't know about the bones. I would only eat it if It as cooked really good!

C
chevyman2001
plumbertom said:

montym said:
The easiest way to debone is with your fingers after cooking. I know most of you would not prefer that, but it can be done with knife and fork also. We actually prefer fish with bones and all in most dishes. Don't mind me saying this, but carp is actually fairly easy to eat with some practice and in my scale of bony fish I would put carp at probably 3 or 4 out of 10. At 10 I would put Hilsa. That fish is incredibly bony, but you probably will not find a better tasting fresh water fish. I have stopped eating Hilsa now, can't afford the time :)

In the last one year I have caught my very first rainbow, cutthroat, sucker fish, coho, chinook, steelhead, crappie, bass, bluegill and perch. This year I have to get a carp in that list. Been out a couple of times already, but as usual no bites.

Cheers
Monty
Man if you got into like a 13-18 pound river carp, you'll be hooked! I promise. Just bread and corn. No joke, add strawberry jello powder to the corn. They go nuts. I have hooked like 3-4 carp in less than an hour. It was summer and the sun just hit the horizon. Willamette by milwaukie.

F
FishOn420
chevyman2001 said:
Well I'm going to see what I can do today. It's been awhile since I have caught I nice big carp and I can't wait any longer. The water is low I just hope it's not to cold. I'm going to try a part of the Willamette down in milwaukie. I'm going to try using corn and bread. I might try something new��. I will keep you guys updated.

So just a update regarding carp fishing. I went down to the Portland waterfront docks and fished for about 4 or 5 hours on Monday morning. I was pulling something up about every 10 to 15 minutes and caught plenty of carp from about 1-5 pounds. Just using night crawlers and plastic grubs.

plumbertom
plumbertom
chevyman2001 said:
Man if you got into like a 13-18 pound river carp, you'll be hooked! I promise. Just bread and corn. No joke, add strawberry jello powder to the corn. They go nuts. I have hooked like 3-4 carp in less than an hour. It was summer and the sun just hit the horizon. Willamette by milwaukie.
I've caught carp to 25 lbs out of the Colorado River. So I know how much fun they can be.