Too cheap to buy a fly rod

L
Lagger
Hi all ive been prusing through these forums for a few months now. Im from Texas and these forums have been very helpful. My questions is has anybody have much luck with using a normal pole with a bobber as a weight with like 3 or 4 feet of leader with a fly tied to it. Ive been screwing around with this at a few ponds around salem with no luck yet. Im sure its just of matter presentation. Well anyways thanks.

Reactions: OnTheFly
K
kornphlake
I've used the fly and bobber plenty, but I can't recall ever catching fish that way. I've only caught a few fish on a fly rod and then only when someone else gave me the fly and showed me where to cast. People swear you can catch fish using flies and I've seen them do it, but it takes plenty of practice to get it right.

M
Markcanby
Lagger said:
Hi all ive been prusing through these forums for a few months now. Im from Texas and these forums have been very helpful. My questions is has anybody have much luck with using a normal pole with a bobber as a weight with like 3 or 4 feet of leader with a fly tied to it. Ive been screwing around with this at a few ponds around salem with no luck yet. Im sure its just of matter presentation. Well anyways thanks.

The bobber method work but only they are going crazy over flies.
I have done it when I didn't have my fly rod with me but the reel deal is much better.

Troutski
Troutski
Anatoily...

Anatoily...

Lagger said:

You should send Anatoliy a pm, he is our resident expert with this method ....

Chuck

J
joesnuffy
Just remember that when you tell people "you caught fish on a fly" you say that you caught fish on a "bobber and fly." Don't want anybody confusing it with "real flyfishing" :p

Anyways, it's pretty easy to fish bobber and fly, i'd recommend at least a 5 foot leader between the bobber and fly.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Oh for Pete's sake!

Oh for Pete's sake!

joesnuffy said:
Just remember that when you tell people "you caught fish on a fly" you say that you caught fish on a "bobber and fly." Don't want anybody confusing it with "real flyfishing" :p

Anyways, it's pretty easy to fish bobber and fly, i'd recommend at least a 5 foot leader between the bobber and fly.

Oh Joe,you're such a purist snob sometimes:doh:...I suppose you never stretched anything other than your tee shirt...to get it over that chest all puffed up with pride at being a "real fly fisherman"...:wall: Did you ever hear that "Necessity is the Mother of Invention"!? :D We all have to start with what we're comfortable with and can afford. I have used the same method and had a ball. Don't worry,I didn't catch anything. But if I had I would have never thought to clarify "bobber and fly".
The aforementioned opinion is issued and put forth simply as a member of this forum and not as a moderator,super or otherwise. :tongue:
Be safe.
Barb

F
fisherkaran
i would just use a fly rod but its your choce

Last edited:
L
Lagger
Delete thread please

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
No offence meant

No offence meant

Lagger said:
Delete thread please

Lagger;
Whoa,just some friendly banter here. Joesnuffy and I do not have any problems with giving each other a bad time. If I offended you or joesnuffy I sincerely apologize for that. The entire post was meant as humorous,not critical. Sorry you took it that way.
I won't be deleting the thread because it has some good information and it does not meet the administrator's criteria for deleting threads.
Be safe.
Barb

J
joesnuffy
:p

I'm just stateing fact, not opinion, that it's not technically fly fishing.

I have previously posted in other threads that I've fished with a bobber and fly and it is very effective. (just not "fly fishing") :dance:

no need to delete the thread.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks Joe

Thanks Joe

joesnuffy said:
:p

I'm just stateing fact, not opinion, that it's not technically fly fishing.

I have previously posted in other threads that I've fished with a bobber and fly and it is very effective. (just not "fly fishing") :dance:

no need to delete the thread.

Thanks joesnuffy. :clap: I certainly did not intend to offend.
Someday we will meet up and really give each other a bad time and love doing it. I can't help razzing people,it's how I was raised. If I ever hit a raw nerve,please let me know. :)

Be safe.
Barb

J
joesnuffy
Fighting / Argueing online it like riding a bike with no wheeles. You just don't get anywhere. :p

However, Debating is worth it.

C
chris61182
Lagger said:

I can't say I've ever had any real luck using dry flies using this method, but when nothing else worked nymphs below a bobber like that would absolutely slay the bass and bluegill at EE Wilson.