Tons of free seafood available!

18406ej
18406ej
To my OFF friends:

I have some good news for you- Me and a college buddy started an import/export company a few months ago and have had terrific success, primarily in the import of foods from central and eastern Europe. We just received two 20' shipping containers packed with seafood from Yugoslavia (a landlocked country that ships a suspiciously large amount of seafood...). Anyway, the containers arrived in Astoria with a disturbingly low ice to seafood ratio which is going to make further shipping problematic. The containers were destined for a a large fishing club in southern Kansas, but there is no way we can get them there before further cargo damage occurs. We are therefore going to give this bounty to you, because if the load doesn't go to a fishing club we don't get the tax break. The containers are enroute to the OFF Headquarters (Troutski's House) as I write this.

I poked around the inventory within the shipping containers and noted that you will be receiving the following:

78 20lb containers Longneck Clams. Some spotting on the meat, but nothing that can't be cut off before serving.

300lbs Oysters (4.3lb individual containers). See above for condition. I was excited because a majority of these oysters appeared to contain pearls, but upon closer inspection these lumps are some sort of chalky/slimy growths (that are probably delicious!). I also talked to an expert about this and he me told that few known pearls are green.

40 Containers marked “Whitefish/Cod Fillets” but actually look to be Salmon or some other red-blooded fish. I am pretty sure it is normal for the blood to be on the outside of the fillets.

12 cases with unknown contents (the shipping containers got pretty humid when they warmed up and the condensation destroyed these labels). I opened one of these boxes and found that you are the proud owner of about 400lbs of Eel Jerky. I think. There are also some suckers so it could also be dehydrated Calamari.

1000lbs Yugoslavian King Crab. These are marked as “cracker crab”, the ones that fall off of the processing conveyor in the plant and crack their shells. The loss of shell protection allows the crab meat in the legs to turn bad pretty rapidly, but the gills inside the main shell are still OK. These can be boiled down to make seafood stock for soups, an environmentally safe radiator coolant for a Prius or a soothing compress for boils or other lesions.

You are all welcome! And thank you all for your educational posts over the years.

Sincerely,

Eamon

PS- I know that you might be thinking “landfill” as you read this. I did too when I first smelled the containers, but then I remembered the saying about beggars not being choosers. Also the EPA has been on our backs since that last incident with the 4,000 lbs of tainted pork and the dumpsters behind Staples.

Y
Yogidabear
I would send the container to Obama

O
OnTheFly
What a deal! I hope Troutski will be able to handle the tremendous influx of orders.

G
grampa ron
Let's hear from Troutski

T
troutmasta
Yogidabear said:
I would send the container to Obama
...........:rolleyes:

OnTheFly said:
What a deal! I hope Troutski will be able to handle the tremendous influx of orders.
That is a lot of stank...

E
eggs
Yum!

F
Fliegenfischer
Yugoslavia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2OHjKB8Nlc ? This may be worth gold due to its nostalgic value for the many thousands of people from former Yugoslavia who live here in the Pacific Northwest. Yugoslavia disintegrated into six different countries during the civil war in the 1990s.

It was not landlocked, it was Italy's neighbor to the east and lies on the pristine Adriatic coast, majority of which belongs to Croatia.

The 2012 fly fishing world championship was held in Slovenia, one of Yugoslavia's former republics.

Also, Nikola Tesla, who helped develop the modern alternating current as we know it came from there.

:)

troutdude
troutdude
Fliegenfischer said:
Yugoslavia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2OHjKB8Nlc ? This may be worth gold due to its nostalgic value for the many thousands of people from former Yugoslavia who live here in the Pacific Northwest. Yugoslavia disintegrated into six different countries during the civil war in the 1990s.

It was not landlocked, it was Italy's neighbor to the east and lies on the pristine Adriatic coast, majority of which belongs to Croatia.

The 2012 fly fishing world championship was held in Slovenia, one of Yugoslavia's former republics.

Also, Nikola Tesla, who helped develop the modern alternating current as we know it came from there.

The Tesla Coil was an amazing invention; and Nikola was a genius and way ahead of his time. If you don't know about him, here are a couple of links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_coil

Incidentally, what time will lunch be served, tomorrow, at Troutski's? I'm hungry.

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
Something seems fishy about this deal....:confused:

18406ej
18406ej
Fliegenfischer said:

Fliegenfischer,

Welcome to OFF! I hope you are enjoying your time here. Just so you know in the future, most of the words printed under my name join together to form sentences, paragraphs and pages of complete fiction. Also I am very rarely argumentative. But, I do have to point out that by definition Yugoslavia is a landlocked nation ("Enclosed or nearly enclosed by land", and "located away from the ocean").

Our Yugoslavian seafood imports come from the Subotica region, 300 miles inland. As you know Yugoslavia retained some shadowy, unsavory and criminal elements from the years of Communist influence. We only deal in Subotica because Tintin rid that area of crime and gangs several years ago.

Finally, Tesla was a brilliant scientist, but he only worked on the development of AC power because of a petty feud with DC power proponent Henry Ford. Ford argued that the glass was half empty while Tesla supported the half-full sentiment. Things came to a head when Ford, attempting to prove his point, replaced Tesla's "half empty" glass of beer with a "half full" glass of nitroglycerin. The majority of Tesla's contemporary fans choose to ignore the fact that much of Tesla's work over the years was specifically aimed to the design and engineering of the Yugo.

Tesla was also a futurist, and as such was able to portend upcoming events. Despite this talent in divination, Tesla failed to warn us about Richard Nixon, the Ford Pinto, Disco, the Mullet and Al Gore's development of what Tesla called "The Impermet".

Lastly, Mr Tesla was born in and emigrated from Syrbia, years before the name "Yugoslavia" had even come to anybody's mind.

Welcome again to OFF,

Eamon

Last edited:
F
fishinmachine
Hope I'm not to late, but put me down for 3 cases of eel jerky. Christmas is just around the corner and that will make a great stocking stuffers.

E
eugene1
LOL, that is great, EJ!

T
TimberTodd
Every cat for a mile radius will be showing up at Troutski's house.

O
OnTheDrop
TimberTodd said:
Every cat for a mile radius will be showing up at Troutski's house.

Never count out a Coon... They love a free meal