To swivel or not to swivel

K
koboabe
hello all...
I am starting to make my own spinners and I have a few questions.
how come some people build them with a swivel and others do not?
I have read a few books that encourage you to build a small swivel onto the end of the lure
I have purchased a few of these too, but I heard form a friend that said it will destroy the action of the lure.

what is your take on it?
do you guys rig up your line mainline>Swivel>leader>Spinner
or just mainline directly to spinner.

If i am going to take the time to tie a leader for each spinner I might as well just build the swivel into the top of the lure.
or does this render the spinner useless?

O
osmosis
I have elaborated on this exact thing several times on this forum.
The short answer is you only need a swivel if you build the spinner wrong. A correctly balanced and tuned spinner will not cause line twist issues.

I tie my spinners directly to my mainline on both spinning and casting reels.

doesn't render it completely useless- however the orientation of the spinner in relation to horizontal is pretty important when we're talking about overall catching potential. I really dislike nose heavy spinners as do most of the other truly productive spinner guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: koboabe
F
Fishtopher
I choose not to swivel. Just because the guys I learned how to build spinners from dont swivel either. I dont remember asking why...just watched and learned. And listened a little I guess.

I do put a swivel about 1' 6" above my spinner every now and then. Sometimes its a three way swivel when fishin oh say the Columbia, where you need the weight to get down in the zone.

This is the time of year to think about gettin some bling wet up at the dam. Im not too sure, but search some of cchinook's posts. He's probably up there right now gettin some.

K
koboabe
I should use the search function more...
sorry man
thanks for the info though.
I haven't been seeing a whole lot of line twist and wasn't sure if the swivel was even needed.

now I just gotta keep those small lil guys off my hooks and I should be good.

F
Fishtopher
If you are using a bait caster, the line twist will be minimal. Much more noticeable when using spinning reel.

Also if you are fishing water thats too fast for your spinner, that'll get some twist goin' fer sure.

Search function is your friend:)! :lol:But thats not what I meant;)...

Click on members list up top, and find cchinook for example. Click on his name, then "statistics", then "find all posts". This will take you to a list of his posts, where you can read away...most of his posts are only a few sentences, but they are informational at the least, so it wont take too long:).

K
koboabe
Fishtopher said:
Search function is your friend:)! :lol:But thats not what I meant;)...

Click on members list up top, and find cchinook for example. Click on his name, then "statistics", then "find all posts". This will take you to a list of his posts, where you can read away...most of his posts are only a few sentences, but they are informational at the least, so it wont take too long:).

Yeah, I have no excuse... I know how to use vBulletin, just being lazy :p

H
hendrixfan
For me it depends, I will go with the snap swivel method(black #12) when walking a river several miles and fishing for trout because of all the different types of water that I come across. I want to be able to quickly and easily change spinners and feel that benefit out weighs the possible short comings.

I do find that if I am careful with the balance and tuning when I make a spinner it definitely makes a big difference with line twist like osmosis said and if I am not moving about a river too much I will direct tie.

K
Kodiak
No swivel. Like Osmosis said..I feel it takes away from the feel of the spinner and when the body is twisting that much something is wrong.

Reactions: koboabe
F
fish_4_all
I always use a swivel regardless. I change spinners a lot and do not want to be retying when a school of fish moves through. Never had problems with line twist and I can fish with the best of them up here. I tie the swivel on and connect directly to the spinner/plug. Only time I use a leader is with bait.

T
Troutier Bassier
If your fishing with blue foxs you need a Swivel. But in other Words, I dont use a Leader. I tie it to my Mainline.

Last edited:
O
osmosis
Troutier Bassier said:
If your fishing with blue foxs you need a Spinner. But in other Words, I dont use a Leader. I tie it to my Mainline.

You're right if using a blue fox you need a spinner - a different one than a blue fox :lol:

N
ninja2010
osmosis said:
You're right if using a blue fox you need a spinner - a different one than a blue fox :lol:

a-haha- :lol::lol: good one!

C
cchinook
swivel

swivel

use a Duolock swivel - it does NOT hinder the spinner in any way and you can swap spinners in a second without retieing your leader - put your Duolock directly on the spinner , not on the swivel that is already on it - cut that one off - many a salmon and steelie have gone to my B.B.Q. in this fashion - but whatever floats your boat !

C
cchinook
blue fox

blue fox

blue fox spinners filled my fridge last year , and I mean Hogs ! at Bonnie - largest was 39 # - so far just jacks up there - but the show is on the way -hot colors are - gold blade , orange or pink body , # 4 - do not over analyze -just fish - way to much thinking and not enough fishing !