To land a fish

F
fishtales
When is a fish considered landed????

B
beaverfan
When it's in the boat/net! Out of curiousity, why? Isn't it kind of obvious?

T
troutmasta
There are all different 'types' of landings, so Its not always obvious. If your big game catch and release fishing you just have to touch the leader. a lot of C&R fisherman never take the fish out of the water so it will never be in the boat or the net.Large sturgeon usually arent taken out of the water so there is another form of landing in the water. Its pretty much up to you. I know if Ive conquered the fish or not, and landing it is for your own personal satisfaction. Its all up to you bud! Good Luck out there. Troutmasta

F
fishtales
Well I was reading up on and thinking about doing some surf perch fishing not today but on one of my next days off.

I think I read in the regs Marine Zone that an angling license is required to angle for or land any fish species except smelt. on page 100 under 2a.

I have never fished for smelt and it got me thinking…. I was under the impression that an angling license was always required unless under age or on private property.

T
troutmasta
I get my license at the begging of every year just to be sure. The best 33 bucks i spend each year.

F
fishtales
Yeah it sure is money well spent although if I added up what it cost per pound of fish I catch in a year I'm not so sure. =)

B
beaverfan
It doesn't matter if you land it or not, you aren't able to fish for anything but Smelt and they are tiny. I think most smelting is done with dip nets.

T
troutmasta
fishtales said:
Yeah it sure is money well spent although if I added up what it cost per pound of fish I catch in a year I'm not so sure. =)

Just go hit the ocean once or get one sturgeon or salmon and its well worth it. Heck just getting out and hitting the mountain rivers is worth 33 bucks.
Good Luck. Have Fun!