tired of coming undone!!!!

G
Grant23
questions on steelhead drift fishing.
lately I have been hooking up frequently but not beng able to land the fish - (SMALL corkies and your choice of purple,black, or red yarn have been productive.) Usually I lose them if they go airborn - but sometimes it is just a simple unbuttoning of the hook. the only thing i have really changed lately is the hook size - i am using size 2 and 4 -yes they are Gami's and sharpend
So -
should I move my hook size up a notch?
also would a longer rod help with a more solid hook set? im using standar 8.5ft. And im looking to buy new wading boots - any suggestions?

M
Mike123
Are you positive they are hooked inside the mouth???

Usually if you get a hook inside the mouth it shouldn't come out.
Also a lighter, softer action rod helps absorb some of the shock.
I use 4's and 6's for drifting yarn balls. I dont use corkies anymore.
But usually when you stick a number 2 hook, they dont come off!
Maybe try setting the hook a bit harder and keeping a lighter drag?

G
Grant23
Thanks mike - it may just be my hook set. i have always been trepid of using hard hooksets with steelhead - but I think I may just start using more power on the set.

M
Mad dog
Lighter drag! :think: We hook lot's of fish on #4 Gami's, I've landed 4 of the last 5 fish I have hooked in the last couple of trips, I feel loosening up the drag helps to not pull the hook. I like a limber rod that absorbs a lot of the shock from jumping, active fish....I think it helps a lot!

Gamakatsu's are sharp, I hook most of my fish simply by lifting the rod and not trying to hammer the hook home, their biggest drawback is they have small barbs.

M
Mike123
I'll add that I used to ONLY use Gami's...
But since I switched to Visions, I have not lost a single fish on them YET.

K
Kodiak
burry that sucker...but not too hard:lol: They are steelhead, they give guys the slip all the time...its what makes them so fun. A longer more limber rod will absorb the shock better when the go air born. How long is your leader and how much weight are you using? Sometimes if your weight gets going the other way it can pull right out.

H
here2fish
Use owners, and bow to the fish when it goes airborne.

G
Grant23
if I was to go with a longer rod - what would be the best choice for drift fishing?
a 9ft?, 9.5ft? or even a 10ft or 10.5ft?

6-12lbs? or 8-17lbs?

currenlty using a 8'6ft but have heard many wonderful things about going up couple notches in rod lenght.

O
osmosis
I use 8'6 and 9'6, 4-10lbs, 6-10lb, 6-12lb, 8-12lb rods for steelhead drift fishing. unless you are planning on drift fishing for chinook more often than steelhead the 8-17 will be overkill, and potentially rip hooks out when the fish flip out.

M
Mike123
Grant23 said:
if I was to go with a longer rod - what would be the best choice for drift fishing?
a 9ft?, 9.5ft? or even a 10ft or 10.5ft?

6-12lbs? or 8-17lbs?

currenlty using a 8'6ft but have heard many wonderful things about going up couple notches in rod lenght.

9'6 6-10lb.

M
Mad dog
My favorite rods are Rogue side drifting rods 9-1/2 ft. and either 4-8 lb. or 6-10 lb for summers and winters or 8-1/2 ft fenwick, 6-15 lb. for some winter drift fishing. I like a loose drag, deffinetely gonna land some fish just barely hooked through a little bit of skin! Too much pressure and you will tear the hook out!