Tips for banking it at Detroit & maybe trolling?

troutdude
troutdude
We're taking about 60 peeps up to Detroit this weekend. We'll be hovering around Hoover campground.

Other than usual bank methods (i.e. Power Bait or Power Eggs off the bottom or a bobber, Bobber & Salmon Eggs, Bobber and worm, or worm off the bottom)...does anyone have any other tips or tricks that you wouldn't mind sharing. I'd really like to make it a successful trip for the kids.

We'll be elbow to elbow with kids. So, casting spinners or spoons isn't a good idea (as they have little or no experience casting). I don't want to spend the whole day untangling rats nests.

But, any other tips are most welcome.

Thanks.

C
Charlie_merrifi
With that many kids power bait or berkley maggots off the bottom. You can also move to just right of the ramp off the rocks

C
Charlie_merrifi
If it's my kids and we plan on keeping them I use small hooks like #10. that way inexpirienced kids don't need to worry about the fish throwing a hook as they generally swallow them

troutdude
troutdude
I forgot about Berkley maggots. I have some and will try them too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

C
Charlie_merrifi
Ive killed them with maggots when everyone else is using power bait

A
autofisher
Just got back from there actually. The powerbait color lately has been the bright orange, popcorn shrimp does well off the dam under a bobber or swinging it with just weight. A couple of the bigger ones that I've seen taken have had white corn in their bellies. Spring green, white and corn PB have produced up there too. If you really want to help your chances squirt some of the Mike's earthworm oil glo-scent on there. It works, very well.

troutdude
troutdude
Charlie_merrifi said:
Ive killed them with maggots when everyone else is using power bait

Cool. Very good to know. Thanks again.

troutdude
troutdude
It makes scents...

It makes scents...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that use a variety of scents.

I have Garlic and Salmon Egg Smelly Jelly. I also have a bottle of Anise oil. Plus, I have Berkley's Trout scent as well as Berkley's Trout Jelly.

But, I just might go get some of that other Trout scent that you mentioned. Thank you.

M
Mattdm22
The best luck for me with banking Detroit would be the breitenbush arm of the lake. Toss some chartreuse PB turbo dough on the bottom and rip some lip! Even nightcrawlers work wonders. Other than that the Tumble Creek area is good too.

troutdude
troutdude
Thanks for those tips Matt. We'll be able to hit the Hoover campground about 6:00 a.m. But, if we're crowed out or don't do too well; maybe we'll try those other spots.

A
Amature Limnologist
Was that for the fishing derbie for kids from singal parent homes????:think:

troutdude
troutdude
Yes, some of those kids were from single parent families. Why do you ask?

C
capblack
wierd question with no response??

troutdude
troutdude
That's exactly what I thought. Why would someone ask such a weird question?

Not to mention, that the last post was 6 months prior.

That brings back memories of a certain Cheech n' Chong skit...which would be totally NOT "p c" in today's world!

Last edited: