Tipping jigs

F
fishwithdynamite
I was wondering if it would increase salmon and steel productivity if I were to tip my jigs with stuff like small pink worm pieces, salad shrimp, eggs, etc... Does anybody have any input on this?

V
VagrantAngler
I use 51/60 count white shrimp cut into pieces the size of the tip of my pinkie finger. Use the raw shrimp not cooked, more naturals oils remain in the raw. You can add coloring if you want, but I tend to leave them au natural unless fishing really high, OFF color water.

F
fishwithdynamite
Thanks for the tip:lol: I bought some 51/60's and cut them OFF a little past the tail. I dyed some hot pink, blue, chartreuse, and purple, also left some natural. Hopefully they entice some steel tomorrow morn:pray: Do you leave the shells on, or take them OFF?

V
VagrantAngler
I peel em for tipping jigs but leave em shelled if I drift the tail sections. Never tried blue before...let me know how it works out. Always looking for new bait color ideas. Gotta have something to try when nohing else is.

B
BlackBass
Prawn tail meat is good for tipping jigs, sandshrimp tails is another. I use to believe that you needed a shrimp on your jig for the best chances at catching a fish, however i now know that to be false. A properly presented jig , in the right pattern/color will catch the same fish that bit the jig with shrimp:)

V
VagrantAngler
I agree with you on that one. I almost always run the Jig through the hole first time sans shrimp. If the water is real OFF color, thats a different story.
3'+ of visibility just the jig first pass

F
fishwithdynamite
Didn't work:lol: Tried lots of stuff today including jigs tipped and not. Nothing worked. I do like the idea of tipping a jig though, purely for a little added scent, and to add flavor to the jig. I don't think that it helps the presentation of the jig,it just gives them a smell and a taste. Every little edge helps sometimes though I guess.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I often tell people who are using large pieces of shrimp on their jigs that they are waisting a lot of money on jigs. The fish is eating the shrimp, not the jig! :lol: This is for those who are using very large chunks of shrimp or prawns not those who are just using a very small chunk. I look over and see the guys jig looking like a shrimp cocktail with the jig at the top and the shrimp hanging down below. Save your jigs and just use a small hook and thread the shrimp on the hook.

Now tipping is a good idea if it does not mess with your jigs look and presentation. This means tip with very small pieces of bait. :D

F
fishwithdynamite
:lol::lol:Shrimp cocktail on a jig:lol:, trying to make sure all the bases are covered I guess. It would be cheaper to just use a bit of yarn.