Timothy Lake trout

troutdude
troutdude
Met up with 2 buddy's, in Salem. Then made a 2.25 -hour one-way trek, to Timothy Lake yesterday. A 3 hour trip, for me one-way. It was our first time, at Timothy.

Got onto the water, about 7:30. Only saw 4 other boats. It was a little chilly, in the morning @ 38 degrees. With some snow still on the ground.

Got splashed by some rain, a few times. But mostly a nice day, and much warmer when we quit at 5:00. We pretty much trolled the entire 13-mile long shoreline. Including quite a ways into the north arm; until it got too shallow. Where there are warning markers.

We even got out, started a nice warming fire (which we properly doused later), and still fished at Meditation Point for about an hour. We had 3, and sometimes 4, lines in the water (I have a 2 rod license).

We tried a wide variety of gear, mostly in the top 30' of the lake. Flasher sets of different sorts with trailing spoons, spinners, night crawlers, Berkley power eggs, mice tails, Rapala plugs, and more. But only got rewarded--for all of our combined efforts--with one, but nice and plump--18" rainbow. And we shared a lot of laughs. Including a sudden, but faked, "rod down"...on a buddy who fell asleep while trolling. Which woke him up, and got his blood pumping again! Nice of us, don't ya think? LOL

There was one other boat that, caught some fish. He had a 20-incher, another at 18, and two other a tad smaller. He was using a silver flasher (dodger?), and wedding rings. Which we immediately switched to, and tried for at least another hour. Plus we fished the same water that, we had seen him in. And still no more fish, for our boat.

But we had a great time. And isn't that, what it was all about? Two of us--with 4 other friends--will be camping their this summer. So this was, a scouting trip. If anyone has some summer-time tips on how to coax more fish, out of Timothy. I'm all ears...

• photo32304.jpg
  • photo32305.jpg
T
twout
Did you enter through the Estacada side or Hwy 26?
When will you be camping there? It’s my home lake maybe I will be there when you are. I ll get you into some fishes. Boat ramp at Pine Point is 45 minutes from my front door

Reactions: troutdude
C_Run
C_Run
That was a lot of work but it's still great to get out of town for some fishing.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Next summer take some crawdad traps along. Lots of those little critter crawling around the bottom of that lake.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
twout;n611732 said:
Did you enter through the Estacada side or Hwy 26?
When will you be camping there? It’s my home lake maybe I will be there when you are. I ll get you into some fishes. Boat ramp at Pine Point is 45 minutes from my front door

When entered the area, from Hwy. 26. Yes, we will be camping. Three days / two nights. Just after the 4th of July (6th - 8th, as I recall). It would be great, if you were there too. Let's touch base again, in a couple of months. Thank you, for your OFFer!

troutdude
troutdude
C_Run;n611734 said:
That was a lot of work but it's still great to get out of town for some fishing.

Yes lots of work. But it was a blast anyway.

troutdude
troutdude
Irishrover;n611745 said:
Next summer take some crawdad traps along. Lots of those little critter crawling around the bottom of that lake.

Good advice. We do plan to take some traps. Catch some to munch on ourselves; and some for bait.

Also...my buddy Wendel got seriously snagged. But he had braided line and finally hauled up, a really old trap. It was all rusty, and broken. So I guess we helped clear a snag, for other fisherpeeps. lol

Last edited: