Timothy Lake Reports

J
JWW30127
Does anyone have a current fishing report on Timothy Lake?

G
GentleDoe
Timothy Lake fishing

Timothy Lake fishing

JWW30127 said:
Does anyone have a current fishing report on Timothy Lake?

I was there yesterday, caught only one fish and it was yucky.. fish had worms all over.

T
trout37
Timothy

Timothy

GentleDoe said:
I was there yesterday, caught only one fish and it was yucky.. fish had worms all over.

I was there yesterday as well. The entire boat caught a total of 3 fish. One rainbow caught trolling a green and black wedding ring and 2 rainbows caught using yellow power eggs off the bottom.

Warning: As above poster mentioned, all the fish had the parasites. They look like grains of rice covering the body. Some of the fish had bleeding sores from them. I know they aren't harmful to humans but I just couldn't bring myself to take them home and cook them up.

Also: The place was a total zoo on the shore. Tons of people. Got seriously irritated at the families playing with their kids on the boat ramps. Acted as if WE were getting in their way while we were trying to load up. They even had crawdad traps laid down off the boat ramps. Seriously people... have a little adventure and move off into the woods a little.

All in all: Not a good trip... kind of left a bad taste for Timothy. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Pita
J
Jeff Lebowski
Great, i'm heading there Friday. So morons at the launch that won't move, minimal fish caught, and parasites/worms on the fish that were caught.... i can't wait! :rolleyes:

T
trout37
Jeff Lebowski said:
Great, i'm heading there Friday. So morons at the launch that won't move, minimal fish caught, and parasites/worms on the fish that were caught.... i can't wait! :rolleyes:

From what I'm finding out about this lake, if you're going for fishing you should just alter your plans and go somewhere else. I heard things get better early fall or when the waters cool down.
I think the weather is supposed to go back to normal by next weekend so the droves of people might dwindle down.
I might give it one more shot in fall and if that works then next spring I'll try again after road thaw.
Have fun!

M
Markcanby
Yeah I never fish Timothy. Not into fishing with half of Portland. Can you go to some other place or is Timothy the only spot?

O
OnTheFly
Never Give Up!

Never Give Up!

Clear lake might still be good also Harriet. If you don't mind the drive, I heard Olallie has been great!

B
beaverfan
Ya I would give Olallie a shot. Since the lodge has been closed not nearly as many people head up there. There are NO motors allowed on the lake but you can rent row boats or bring your own. Crystal clear water and some fish to top it OFF!

J
Jeff Lebowski
I would head to another place, but camping with the family is the reason for Timothy, not fishing. I'll pretty much be the only one outta the group fishing anyways. I just can't get past this parasite/worm situation :confused:

They allow gas engines, correct? And its a 10mph limit? Are many people on boats or mostly bank fishing with the rest of Portland?

T
trout37
Jeff Lebowski said:
They allow gas engines, correct? And its a 10mph limit? Are many people on boats or mostly bank fishing with the rest of Portland?

Boats are allowed, 10 MPH enforced. So I guess the plus side is no jet skis.
Not too many boats on the water. We got a late start and by noon we were the only people fishing (it seemed). The few boats we saw had beached themselves... (nap time?)

I'm sure the crowds won't be as bad as the weather will be cooler in Portland.

I'm tellin' ya... when you first pull in a fish, you're not going to want to touch it. It's quite disgusting... :lol:

A
All Ford
I fished Timothy a month ago and we got 17 fish in 2 days. I feel your pain about the boat ramps. There is only one with a dock and there were kids and their parents swimming right in front of where I was coming in, then they acted surprised when I pulled my boat up to the dock. I almost backed over one ladies dog taking my boat out because she had it tied up to the dock. The plus side is that there were only about 6 other boats on the lake and there were no water skiers like at North Fork. My tips would be...

1. Go durring the week. We went monday through thursday and the camp ground was only 2/3 full.

2. Fish in the morning but don't kill yourself trying for first light. Most all our fish were caught between 9:30 and 11:00. Also the wind comes up in the afternoon and makes for a rough boat ride. Both my kids got a little sick feeling.

3. Fish the shore opposite the camp grounds on the dam end of the lake. My 6 year old out fished us all using rainbow powerbait cast out and drug across the bottom. We fished about 50 to 75 feet off shore.

I like it there, probably because it's where we went when I was a kid. The fishing can be hit or miss but that's why it's called fishing and not catching. :D

Hope you have a good time!

J
Jeff Lebowski
trout37 said:
Boats are allowed, 10 MPH enforced. So I guess the plus side is no jet skis.
Not too many boats on the water. We got a late start and by noon we were the only people fishing (it seemed). The few boats we saw had beached themselves... (nap time?)

I'm sure the crowds won't be as bad as the weather will be cooler in Portland.

I'm tellin' ya... when you first pull in a fish, you're not going to want to touch it. It's quite disgusting... :lol:

Wondering if it's worth it to take the 10hp or just the trolling..:think:

Hopefully the crowds wont be bad, i hate crowded fishing and camping. These fish sound nasty, you shoulda taken a picture to give an idea for whats in store lol

All Ford said:
I fished Timothy a month ago and we got 17 fish in 2 days. I feel your pain about the boat ramps. There is only one with a dock and there were kids and their parents swimming right in front of where I was coming in, then they acted surprised when I pulled my boat up to the dock. I almost backed over one ladies dog taking my boat out because she had it tied up to the dock. The plus side is that there were only about 6 other boats on the lake and there were no water skiers like at North Fork. My tips would be...

1. Go durring the week. We went monday through thursday and the camp ground was only 2/3 full.

2. Fish in the morning but don't kill yourself trying for first light. Most all our fish were caught between 9:30 and 11:00. Also the wind comes up in the afternoon and makes for a rough boat ride. Both my kids got a little sick feeling.

3. Fish the shore opposite the camp grounds on the dam end of the lake. My 6 year old out fished us all using rainbow powerbait cast out and drug across the bottom. We fished about 50 to 75 feet off shore.

I like it there, probably because it's where we went when I was a kid. The fishing can be hit or miss but that's why it's called fishing and not catching. :D

Hope you have a good time!

Thanks for the tips! Plan is to get out about 9 and be done by noon, again the problem im anticipating is the ramp...i'll just have the pup get out and let them know to move :D Water pretty calm up until around noon when the wind picks up?

Last edited:
L
liquidplumber
Jeff Lebowski said:
Wondering if it's worth it to take the 10hp or just the trolling..:think:

Hopefully the crowds wont be bad, i hate crowded fishing and camping. These fish sound nasty, you shoulda taken a picture to give an idea for whats in store lol

Thanks for the tips! Plan is to get out about 9 and be done by noon, again the problem im anticipating is the ramp...i'll just have the pup get out and let them know to move :D Water pretty calm up until around noon when the wind picks up?

I would take the 10 hp it gets windy on that lake and it is never fun rowing against the wind when your batteries die.Good luck

A
All Ford
The water is smoooooth in the morning and at 9am nobody is up yet to get in your way. It's coming in that gets crowded. Our fish had the little lice but they washed right off. Catch and release is fun too. We switched to c+r after our 5th fish. I would take the 10 hp. You will need it. When the wind picked up my little 6 was singing to push my 16ft into the wind. 10mph sure sucks for gas mileage on the 90 hp merc. I used more gas running across the lake with the big motor than i did trolling for 2 days with the 6.

Last edited:
K
koboabe
Nice icon bro.
Not the best conditions for Timothy, but eh... the Dude abides. Right?

I was there yesterday, saw one bank fisherman and a few folks trolling.
(and a lone sailing catamaran)
caught a few trout, but released them all... no need to take fish I don't want to eat.
I was on my toon so I couldn't cover too much water.

T
tnffishman
was at timothy yesterday. Not too many people but the boat ramp situation was the same. People swimming all over it and on the dock:rolleyes:. Fishing was bad. Trolled the entire lake with NO bites. Caught 1 off PowerBait when eating lunch on shore, missed two other strikes as well. One guy said he caught 3 on flies, but I had no luck on those either.

My fish had about 15 of those parasites on him, but I just scraped them off with a knife when I cleaned him. IF you have a crawdad trap bring it!!! That's your best shot at catching something tasty

P
platteflyfisher
Timothy, Clear

Timothy, Clear

Timothy fills up by Wednesday, Lost Lake is a zoo. Clear Lake has overflow camping but fishing is non existent due to warm water. 76 near shore. Floated for two days, got four take'nshakes on sparkle-flash hackles deep on southwest part of lake, another guy got two trolling worms. Shore guys got pepe le pew. Rangers cruising lake gave tickets to floaters without life vests all weekend. Be safe good luck.

C
Carl762
Man, that's extremely disappointing about the disgusting fish.

What's going on up there???

P
Pita
Well, i called ODFW twice, mostly because i was curious about the red raised sores that jeanna also found.

without assuming that they are bad for humans, i am interested to know what that is, what causes it, etc ... sure doesn't look too good for the fish in any case.

needless to say, F&W never returned my calls (even called the clackamas office) so i am peeved at them for now. come to think of it, i don't remember when they've EVER called me back. :naughty:

next time i'm in the timothy area, i just decided to screw it and drive the rest of the way to olallie instead.

C
Carl762
God, this is just ruining my day. Used to be a favorite place to go to. Now, sounds like it's just populated by A$$hats and their ilk, and diseased fish.

I'll try a call to F&W too. I don't go for folks not calling me back, a real pet peeve.