Timothy Lake for beginners?

C
chris61182
So today I had the option of going fishing anywhere I wanted, for as long as I wanted. All week long I had debated on where I wanted to go, Lost Lake in the Nehalem watershed, Lost Lake by Hood, Timothy, Harriet, Frog, Clear, etc...? In the end I picked Hagg lake because the less time I spend driving is the more time I get to spend fishing. And while I caught fish it wasn't the sort of experience I was after; I am still trying to accept that there really were people on nearly every accessible piece of shoreline, and the boats! Don't get me started on the boats.

So long story short I'm wishing I went with my original plan and headed to Timothy lake. Even if I caught less I think I'd have enjoyed myself more, and I realized that there was actually another reason why I chose Hagg instead of Timothy, and it's that I have no clue where to even start once I reach the lake.

And here's where I ask you guys for help, where might a bank maggot, who is not interested in soaking power bait, go at Timothy? Even better if it's slightly off the beaten path.

I've taken the liberty of taking a high resolution screen capture from Google Earth for anyone to doodle on and mark good spots.

Last edited:
T
The Nothing
I was just at Timothy for my first time ever yesterday morning...

There's much to be known about this lake.

-On first approach there is a good sized dock right next to the Dam (have to drive over the dam, park on the left). I saw this fished two ways - bobber with worm going out from the dock and powerbait off the bottom going towards shore.

-There isn't much bank fishing. At least not right now (not sure how much the water level goes down through the summer). I had to wade out from the shore to be able to get any appreciable distance and depth (wind wasn't helping). Meditation Point Campground is hike-in only. If you get to Timothy and turn left before the dam, you're in a day use area that is just a row of parking and a gravel boat launch. If you go over the dam the bank is similar, and accessable from the dam to the last camp ground. Most of the campgrounds seemed to have gravel boat launches (i only checked out a couple of the sites). Once you get past the last campsite, there is nothing left unless you hike way in, or better yet, on horseback. There is no easy way to fish other parts of the lake without a boat. Don't expect to be able to drive around the lake. It can be done, but you won't be anywhere near the water, and most of it is gravel roads (at least the way I went). I didn't know this and had hoped to get away from the crouds and fish the otherside of the lake. An hour and a half later we made it back to the dam, frustrated to say the least.

-One the above note, a small boat or pontoon is very nice to have at Timothy. Like I mentioned, its really the only way to fish anywhere on the lake thats not near the dam. All water on Timothy is restricted to 10mph.

-If you're going up for a couple days, take a crawdad pot. Bait it and let soak overnight.

I was in a similar situation as you. I knew NOTHING about Timothy before going. Fishing seems best in the early morning hours, before 8am. The water at the banks are fairly rocky, and in some areas extend out quite a ways before dropping. Fishing near the dam does make things deeper, faster, but is also the most accessable. I'm glad yesterday was a hot day up there so it became kinda nice to walk out in the water to make casts towards deeper waters. But at the end of the day I have to call my time at Timothy rather unenjoyable.

L
liquidplumber
The Nothing said:
I was just at Timothy for my first time ever yesterday morning...

There's much to be known about this lake.

-On first approach there is a good sized dock right next to the Dam (have to drive over the dam, park on the left). I saw this fished two ways - bobber with worm going out from the dock and powerbait off the bottom going towards shore.

-There isn't much bank fishing. At least not right now (not sure how much the water level goes down through the summer). I had to wade out from the shore to be able to get any appreciable distance and depth (wind wasn't helping). Meditation Point Campground is hike-in only. If you get to Timothy and turn left before the dam, you're in a day use area that is just a row of parking and a gravel boat launch. If you go over the dam the bank is similar, and accessable from the dam to the last camp ground. Most of the campgrounds seemed to have gravel boat launches (i only checked out a couple of the sites). Once you get past the last campsite, there is nothing left unless you hike way in, or better yet, on horseback. There is no easy way to fish other parts of the lake without a boat. Don't expect to be able to drive around the lake. It can be done, but you won't be anywhere near the water, and most of it is gravel roads (at least the way I went). I didn't know this and had hoped to get away from the crouds and fish the otherside of the lake. An hour and a half later we made it back to the dam, frustrated to say the least.

-One the above note, a small boat or pontoon is very nice to have at Timothy. Like I mentioned, its really the only way to fish anywhere on the lake thats not near the dam. All water on Timothy is restricted to 10mph.

-If you're going up for a couple days, take a crawdad pot. Bait it and let soak overnight.

I was in a similar situation as you. I knew NOTHING about Timothy before going. Fishing seems best in the early morning hours, before 8am. The water at the banks are fairly rocky, and in some areas extend out quite a ways before dropping. Fishing near the dam does make things deeper, faster, but is also the most accessable. I'm glad yesterday was a hot day up there so it became kinda nice to walk out in the water to make casts towards deeper waters. But at the end of the day I have to call my time at Timothy rather unenjoyable.
I also went to Timothy for the first time saturday.Fishing was rather slow and very windy.We did have a boat however .Lots of people.Too many for me.My biggest gripe is trying to troll around the crawdad traps,darn near impossible.If people would try to keep them in line it wouldn't be so bad.Just my two cents.

A
ArcticAmoeba
You should see the place over 4th of July weekend. What a zoo! And i agree to your comment about the way everyone sets their pots willy nilly all over the damn place. I take my pontoon. Kind of a giagantic lake for toons, but the work out is nice. Small craft do much better negotiating the pot lines.

L
liquidplumber
ArcticAmoeba said:
You should see the place over 4th of July weekend. What a zoo! And i agree to your comment about the way everyone sets their pots willy nilly all over the damn place. I take my pontoon. Kind of a giagantic lake for toons, but the work out is nice. Small craft do much better negotiating the pot lines.

One thing I did learn this weekend was that we caught more and larger fish down wind from the pots when we could get there.Could it be chum?

C
chris61182
The Nothing, you were talking about gravel roads, was that mostly on the West and North side of the lake, NF-5890? Or was that the south side, NF-57? And I assume the East side of the lake, NF-4280, is going to be gravel as well.

I've always heard about the crayfish at Timothy, I just might have to take my trap up there when I make the trip.

A
ArcticAmoeba
liquidplumber said:
One thing I did learn this weekend was that we caught more and larger fish down wind from the pots when we could get there.Could it be chum?

That is awesome information. I am definitely going to experiment with that one this summer. Chumming is illegeal in Oregon, unless some dills set all their pots everywhere and does it for us.:lol: Dang. good observation.:clap:

CHRIS - You assume correct, almost all of the forest roads surface is gravel. It can get pretty degraded at times, but the state trys. If you like wheelin brig your baddest rig, cause offshoot roads get hairy in a hurry. Stay on the gravel and follow the marker signs if you want to stay in 2WD.

Last edited:
T
The Nothing
A good section of NF57 on the way in is gravel - From NF-58 intersection to the dam... about 7 miles. There IS a way to go around that section that is paved but its almost twice the distance, fairly narrow, and still have some trees on the road, or otherwise restricting things. I'd rather rinse the dust off the car than pay for that extra gas. NF4280 and 5890 are all gravel...

The gravel roads I travelled on (57, 4280, 5890, and some other nonlisted roads) were easily travelled, even in my wifes honda accord.

C
chris61182
OK, so I've got a couple more Timothy Lake questions.

I know the lake's primary purpose is water retention for power generation but is there a time when the lake gets drawn down?

If so when? Or better yet if anyone has any links to the water schedule would you please share them?

T
trollin4trout
Don't know about the water schedule- have seen it low in the fall.

Hope you can see this a little. The red arrows are pointing to all the points of land that stick out at least a little on this whole shoreline. I've trolled this shoreline umpteen times- cause it's usually fishy somewhere along it. Sometimes it's all the points, sometimes it's the coves between the points where the fish gather. When the wind blows- it almost always comes right into this shore- thus food is delivered and fish gather. Almost every point has a fairly deep dropoff right out from it. The coves can be pretty shallow.

I always see people fishing from the bank somehere along it as I troll. So there has to be a path/paths to get there from the gravel road. I know there's a spot or two where a little side dirt road goes off towards the lake so you should be able to get really close. It looks like there is a path down this whole side of the lake- haven't been on it- just see people there and see the path. You said you were looking for a little adventure away from the crowds- this would seem perfect- walk and fish this whole shore- lots of rocks and boulders and stumps along the shore along with deeper dropoffs at the points. Shouldn't have much competition at all and should have a great chance to hook up with a bigger fish than the stockers.

Someone mentioned the crawfish traps- I too think that fish gather near the food in them- sure have caught a lot around the traps.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Jim

TimothyLakechris61182.jpg

Last edited:
C
chris61182
Thank you trollin! And from the research I've done that trail that runs along that side and eventually across the south edge of the lake is the Pacific Crest Trail. Most of the books I've looked at suggest starting the hike for Timothy lake at Little Crater lake and heading south, though I think it might actually be easiest to start the hike at the Oak Fork campground.

I would not recommend starting in from NF4280 until you learn the area. When I was up there I drove out that way, and could make an educated guess where the road is nearest the lake because of the cars, but it's otherwise a little difficult to judge where along that road one is.

But yeah, it's almost like you read my mind, because hiking along that eastern shore was my next plan of attack:)!

F
fish_on!!!
more ?s

more ?s

First off what's the regs on koke, limit and size? Second how many traps can u have in the water for crawdad? And last are motors allowed?

D
Dweller
Motors are allowed, but there is a 10 Mph speed limit. I do not have a reg book handy so I will let someone else field the other questions.