Timothy Lake fishing

P
pheasant_girl
I have never been to Timothy lake and was wondering if anybody could tell me how the bank fishing is and maybe some advice. I am new to the lakes in oregon as I have grown up in Washington.

Also what's up with Clear Lake and Frog Lake any fishing in those spots?

Burnt out on Faraday Lake so any suggestions are good.

Last edited by a moderator:
E
eggs
Go bank fish off the north side where there is a stip of land that goes out into the lake.. there is a big drop off there.. clear is great right now but as the summer goes on the lake gets drained down to form a puddle... frog is a great lake that doesn't get nearly the pressure the lakes around it gets.

Also think about hitting harriet lake up past estacada.. Also if you venture up to the Ollalie area you won't want to fish anywhere else!

J
JKham
I'm looking to head up to Mt Hood this Saturday, are you saying I should go to Clear Lake or Frogg Lake? Where's this Ollalie place, I don't mind giving it a try this weekend too.

G
GDBrown
I hit Clear lake a couple weeks ago with OnTheFly and had a great time. 25-30 strikes, 15 to the boat, two in the bucket for dinner. All dragging a green wooly bugger.

GD

J
JKham
I don't have a boat so do you think bank fishing will net me some luck at Clear?

G
GDBrown
Not sure, I've never done it that way. My trip with OnTheFly was my first to Clear Lake.

E
eggs
banking from all 3 of those lakes is pretty good.. timothy is the biggest, then clear and frog is the smallest of the lakes. Trillium is also a good lake with good bank access and a good bite, but get their early it tends to get crowded.

To get to ollalie from Mt. Hood area take 26 like your going to timothy/clear/frog.. take the exit for clear lake. stay on FS road 42, don't turn off to clear lake. take it all the way to fs 200 and follow that to 4230 and take a left it will then connect you to skyline rd(4220) where you can take a right and head to the lake.. I would highly recommend NOT taking 4220 directly off 42 even if the signs say to ollalie lake.. that road is in horrible shape and rough even in a truck.. 42 and 4230 are really nice roads.. Last report 2 weeks ago was snow blocking the road a 1/2 mile from the lake but that could be gone by now..

Last edited:
C
chrishophoto
The best fishing is from a boat, or in my case a canoe, because either the banks are really steep, or really shallow. If you have waders, you should go up to the area on the NE end, where the Cooper and Crater Creek inlets are. The fishing should be pretty good there. I will be
up there this weekend in my orange canoe, so if you see me yell "chrishophoto!"

-Chris

C
chrishophoto
Just to update. I won't be up at Timothy the weekend after all. I left to do some camping a few days ago, and ended up chasing after good weather all the way down to Diamond Lake, where the weather wasn't raining, but it was really windy. After spending a few days down there I got word that the thunderstorms were rolling in, so I decided to head back home for the weekend. If the weather gets better like it is supposed to on Monday, I will probably head out again to the lakes in the mountains. I might do Timothy, but I am keeping my options open for now.

By the way, the fishing was relatively slow down at Diamond (must have been all the wind), but the fish that I did catch were pretty big! One was 18" and the other two I caught were about 13". The big one was a thrill to catch!

-C

J
JKham
I wanted to update about Timothy Lake, went there yesterday and it was a very lovely day, 80 degrees and the lake is beautiful. However, fishing was not so hot. I tried every color power bait and even worms but only got a few bites and caught 2 tiny ones about 8 inchers. I was fishing along the banks near each end of the dam. Though it was unsuccessful, I plan to go back again because the place is so nice and next time I try trolling more.