Timothy Lake 7/22

P
PTownAngler
Went to Timothy to get into some Trout and take out my new Livingston Boat for its maiden voyage. Between my buddy and I we landed 25 and hooked 31. Most of them were 12" couple were 14"-15" and a couple 10". We put in at the North Arm Campground and fished mostly out in front of the launch staying in the North Arm mostly. I started out trolling a F4 Michael Jackson flatfish with no luck while my buddy just dragged a fly with his fly rod. Also tried trolling a Mepps Little Wolf spoon black, yellow, red pattern and a Luhr Jensen Super Duper frog pattern with no luck. Then we both just dragged fly's with our fly rods. We caught all our fish dragging fly's. I used a size 8 brown beadhead wolly bugger, size 6 black beadhead wolly bugger and a Macks Lure Fly black with purple flash and purple smile blade. It was a great day. Fishing was awesome and the new boat ran great. We also put out the crawdad traps while we fished. We caught 70 dads, boiled em up when we got home. Timothy is one of my all time favorite Trout lakes. If you know how to fish it, it always produces. Didn't take any fish pics as we released all of them off the side of the boat. Did take this one though.
dbdee2af8d39106a6514bb2441bf354f.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
M
mustardthetrout
Great report! I've always wanted to try that lake. Were you trolling your flies close to the surface or on a sinking line?

P
PTownAngler
Close to the surface for sure. We were catching them between 15'-40' behind the boat. They were hitting my fly right at the surface and within the top 3'. My buddy had sinking line but was staying no deeper than like 5'-6' and was getting hit right at the service too pretty close behind the boat. The north arm of timothy is pretty shallow right now. Oak grove is a good place too. Troll from the launch down to the oak grove inlet and back. Which is to your east from the launch.

Last edited:
M
mustardthetrout
Sounds good, I'll give that a try. Thanks for giving so much helpful info!

P
PTownAngler
The oak grove inlet is good and you can even head north from the inlet and go around the point following close to the shore and follow the shore around the cove and around the next point into the next cove and back to the inlet.

P
PTownAngler
The shoreline between hoodview and pine point can produce too. There's some nice stumps in the cove between the two where it says cove campground on the map. Brookies like to hang around those stumps. Come to within casting distance and cast your fly or if your using spinning gear float with crawdad tail close to the shoreline by the stumps. Or use a casting bubble and fly or even a smaller sized rebel crawdad. Brookies love crawdads at Timothy.

Last edited:
M
mustardthetrout
Thanks again! I'm going to give it a try tomorrow morning and will give a report. Were the fish leader shy at all?

P
PTownAngler
Not that I noticed. Although the leaders we were using were long clear and thin. Not sure what type as my buddy gave me the one I used and i didn't see the pack when he took it out. I think it was 9 ft and it was pretty thick towards the back and got super skinny towards the tip.

H
Hawk
Y'all had a great day.....:D:thumb:

What bait did you use in the crawdad traps?

P
PTownAngler
Frozen bait fish that we brought with in a cooler. Each fish was literally a skeleton when we pulled the traps up lol. We set 2 different traps in different locations.

M
mustardthetrout
Well, I gave it a shot this morning from 8:00 to around 12:00. I trolled along the shoreline as you said and caught plenty of fish. Rainbows, Brookies, and Cutthroats. Most were in the 10-16" range. I had one fly rod out with a brown wooly bugger and a spinning rod with an F4 Frog Flatfish. I caught lots of fish on both rods, but I think the flatfish got more action. I trolled the shore from pine point to the Oak Grove Fork cove and along the shore to the north arm like you said. Most of the fish were caught in the arm itself. Great day on the water!

Last edited:
P
PTownAngler
Nice! Good pics too man. That's a great shoreline to troll. The Oak Grove Inlet is good fishing. We stayed in the north arm when I went with my buddy. I'm hoping to get up to the mountain again soon. I might hit Timothy again but I don't know, I might go to lost lake instead. It would be nice to hit Timothy again and catch a brook trout, we didn't get any on our trip just bows and cutts. It's been a little while since I've caught a brook trout.

Reactions: troutmasta
T
twout
Thinking ill head up there tomorrow is there no problems launching at Pine Point ramp with the low water level??

M
mustardthetrout
twout said:
Thinking ill head up there tomorrow is there no problems launching at Pine Point ramp with the low water level??

Pine Point is one of the only usable boat launches right now. There was a sign at the Oak Fork launch that said so.

T
troutmasta
Fantastic report, Thanks for all the good info Ptown!