Time and Location in relation to species and technique

I
ibanez_shredder
;)I am very "Green" to the sport/art of fishing in general. I am type A personality. however, this year I have come to truely appreciate the concept of fishing, ESCAPE!!! LOL i have put in 4-5 days a week since may 5th, full days, on the ponds, and rivers around the mid-willamette valley, (IE. Salem area, detroit, and santiam) but with the many many hours i've spent on the water, and the many things I've learned. I feel confident in my gear, and technique, but yet the numbers speak for themselv's, so I'd like this thread to cover anyone's successfull aproach to the correlation between Time of day & Location ==> Species of fish and technique/gear thank you for any helpful advice, I am mainly looking to catch Trout and steelhead but am open to other stuff as I just haven't been turned onto yet...

J
joesnuffy
I'm not positve about the question but here's aquick answer abou trout.

I find that trout tend to come to the surfice and closer to the edges of water in the morning s and afternoons. In mid-day hours they tend to go to deeper water to avoid the sun and heat.

This doesn't always hold true though. Just a general guideline.

was this the type of thing you are refering to?

I
ibanez_shredder
MOney

MOney

that was something very close to the "perfect" answere i'm looking for, what locations do you fish and what gear/techniques are you using when you came to these conclusions?

J
joesnuffy
I prefer to flyfish so I do that when the fish are near the surface but if i'm fishing in the mid-day I'll switch over to powerbait.

H
hendrixfan
Trout in rivers, especially rainbows head towards the riffles in the heat as well. When fishing some of the rivers in NE part of the state with both bull trout and rainbows, I can almost always be sure that if I catch a fish in the faster water in the middle of the day its a rainbow, some of the smaller rainbows will sit in the deep pools with the dollys
(in fact I have caught a small rainbow and while reeling it in had a big bull trout come up and take its tail off). Early and late in the day the fish seem to again mingle more in the deeper holes, still with the rainbows in more shallow water.

In lakes I agree morning and evening they are more shallow and in the heat of the day they go deep. Also I have read that if there is a part of a lake where the wind is causing broken water, that the trout will be a little more shallow in those areas. I personally have never paid that much attention to it though.

Last edited:
T
Troutier Bassier
What city do you live in?

S
SmallStreams
In the small rivers coming from the Coast Range (Luckiamute, Marys River, and Long Tom), it's all about water temperature for the cutthroats. Time of day hasn't mattered much in my experience, but then I'm also not present close to sunrise or sunset.

If the water feels warm enough to take a bath in, then you have to find a deep pool or a tributary bringing in cold water. Shade isn't a factor. Even if the water is reasonably cool to begin with, I notice that the cutthroats still hug the bottom and you just don't see them until they rise up for a surface insect or your spinner.

Over on the Cascade side, the water is more likely to be cool to begin with, but the rainbows and cutthroats both still hug the bottom. I think in that case, it's because the clear waters make them easy prey from the sky.