Tied my first fly (Wooly Bugger)

D
Drew9870
I just got a kit from my Grandpa for tying flies, check out my first attempt.

The picture was taken from my phone, so it really sucks. The body is light brown Chenille.

G
Growbug
Not bad.. not bad.. try it out now. go catch a twout!

It looks almost identical to my first bugger! Keep tying, you will be amazed at the stuff you are tying in 6 months!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
:clap:nice bugger drew!

troutdude
troutdude
Yup, looks like a bugger to me!

I have caught more trout on a woolly, than anything else...EVER.

F
FishFinger
Right on Drew.

Keep practicing and refine your skillz. True enough you can never have enough buggers with ya. Simple yet very productive.

D
Drew9870
Thanks everyone,

Here's number two, I used two strands of Peacock Herl in the tail, which is also why the fly has a pile of thread in the back, I kinda forgot to add it in until right before the hackle, :redface:.

F
FishFinger
Hey man, body and hackle wise that's pretty tight. Keep practicing your thread control and sometimes buggers are "ribbed" with fine wire. Those wire wraps help lock in the hackle. Being that it's one "long" feather, if it breaks the fly basically comes apart (looses it bug legs). Anyways have fun and experiment. You'll get better with each fly.

Hey........... What kinda vise are you sporting?

B
bigsteel
nice fly drew,you can always add some rubber legs as well

D
Drew9870
The vise came in a kit, the kit was an old Walton Fly Tying Kit. I trimmed the tail on the 2nd fly, so the legs are now a seperate piece, lol. I'll see what I can do about a better camera, and start adding pics to mrlindman's thread.

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
bigsteel said:
nice fly drew,you can always add some rubber legs as well

Will do, these are mainly for still water, so the rubber legs will give them great action while retrieving. Thanks for the advice, I will add rubber legs to the list of things to get hopefully by Sunday.

M
mrlindeman
Very well done Drew!!!!! A tip for the tails. A good amt of material can be used so that the tail is puffy and full. Its what creates the breathing action in the water. I think its time for a one on one clinic now that you are tying :) Keep at it and weekend after this one we will get together and tie some killers. :) I will bring you some materials I think you will find very useful. That second bugger would slay!!!!!

M
markasd
Right on... first bug I tied was a bugger, similar to those! You'd be amazed at what adding a couple legs will do for action...

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Kickass man. Buggers are probably the most versatile of flies - and are my favorite sub-surface fly type. I like tying up micro-buggers to fish dropper style with attractor dries - very simple to whip up, but very effective. One of my favorite fishing memories was swinging woolly buggers for cutties on the Yellowstone River. They HAMMER the buggers, the strike when a fish really wants your bugger can be vicious - you definitely know the fish is there! Good job, and welcome to the addiction that is fly tying.