Tidewater Springers???? Boating in the river near scottsburg????

T
Thuggin4Life
So does anyone fish tidewater for springers? Like reedsport area? Also what is the river like around scottsburg? safe to run a prop? any tricky spots I should know about? Should I take a 14' john boat or my 12' v hull or does it even matter much?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Definitely safe to run a prop but you'll have a bit of a run from the closest ramp up to the good fishing. Shouldn't be too bad tho. I don't know about the reedsport area but the fishing will be hot at Scottsburg as soon as the water drops back into shape. Take whichever boat gets you up the river faster and expect to run into a lot of traffic around the bridge. Most people fish just above the bridge on the inside corner just before the river's bend. I've never fished it but I drive that stretch every Monday and Friday this time of year and see where everyone fishes...so take it for what it's worth. Before the rains started I counted 22 boats on the river between Scottsburg and upstream about 10 miles.
Thuggin4Life said:
So does anyone fish tidewater for springers? Like reedsport area? Also what is the river like around scottsburg? safe to run a prop? any tricky spots I should know about? Should I take a 14' john boat or my 12' v hull or does it even matter much?

T
Thuggin4Life
so does everyonejust anchor up and plunk?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Everyone I've ever see there is anchored but I don't know how they're fishing it. There is a new tackle shop in Scottsburg across the street from the market. It's not open too often but next time I see it open I'll pop in and ask how they're fishing it.
Thuggin4Life said:
so does everyonejust anchor up and plunk?

jamisonace
jamisonace
I stopped in at the sporting goods store across the street from Bob's market today. They were closed but the owner's wife was taking out the trash and so I stopped her to ask some questions. She said it's mostly plunking. I've never plunked but it sounded like they run two lines off the mainline. The bottom line with a spinglow??? something like that. And the top line with herring or roe. Sounds like fish are being caught everyday down there. I also took a closer look at the distance between the ramp and the area everyone fishes and you're only looking at a boat ride of about a mile.

T
Thuggin4Life
Hey thanks. I don't run that kinda set up but have my own way to plunk so i might have to go check it out.

D
deejay
just make sure you check the tide it can get real tricky trying to get up there on a minus tide ive been there and done that in a bass boat not much fun

T
Thuggin4Life
so would it be best to go at slack or on the incoming?

D
deejay
im just saying watch out for the minus tides as long as its not in the red you should be fine ive never been springer fishing up there yet but i get a lot of small mouth up there between the boat ramp and above the bridge

M
mosd
sounds like a idea, i was gonna hit the yaquina for sturgeon but the hell with it, ill go springer fishing... if anyone wants to tag a lot, ive got a friend coming but do have a extra seat avaliable... ill be springer an sturgeon fishing, might chase after the smallies later or surf perch if in?

T
Thuggin4Life
let me know how you do.

M
mosd
me and a buddy will head out on sunday, talked to a guide earlier yesterday and he was telling me it was gonna be a zoo there at scottsburg, so im just gonna fish for sturgeon down by the 101 bridge there in reedsport, who knows maybe i might get lucky and hook a springer on accident? useing anchovy/sand shrimp combo

T
Thuggin4Life
wishful thinking. good luck. there were sturgeon jumping all morning one day when we were out trying for fall chinook.