Tide water Springer Tactics???? Columbia Springer tactics????

T
Thuggin4Life
So my only experiance for springers has been here on the willamette and mckenzie drifting or tossing hardware and half the time still fishing for summers at the same time but I have gone out intentionally just for springers. I do plan on plunking for them close to town this year but my question is about tide water. I know how to troll for them in the fall and where to go and all that. Just curious if the same tactics can be employed for tide water springers? i know that you can fish for them in tillamook bay the same as I would for fall chinook and I noticed that you guys in the pdx area will troll herring in the Columbia. I want to get in on the springer action on the Umpqua this year and I know how to fish for them up river but I don't know the river to well only my winter plunking holes and I know when the water conditions are right I can go there and plunk but a lot of guys will plunk from a boat more out where I can't get from the bank. i was thinking why can't I go down to reedsport and troll some herring or something down deep? Sounds like a good idea to me and I know you can do the same in other systems but i never here of anyone doing it down there. Or should I take my boat up to the columbia? Is it safe to take my my deep wide 12'er up in the columbia? were do you troll at? would i be better off in a 14' john boat? I want to get in on the springer action and can't wait anymore for decent numbers to get all the way up here. Also last year you I thought you could keep 1 a day 5 a year wild chinook and in the SW zone regs I can't find anything about it. Also same goes for the NW Zone were can I find these regs?

T
Thuggin4Life
Can you even fish for springers in the columbia right now? regs are confusing and the landmarks the talk about using for dividers aren't in the book.

B
beaverfan
Yes the Columbia is open from the mouth up to I205 bridge. It was closed Tuesdays but they just opened it up to seven days a week until April 18th. After that I'm not sure what it will be.

P
plumb2fish
Andy you could take your boat out in the columbia as long as the weather was decent. However you would do just as well launching at the mouth of the clack and heading down below meldrum and trolling a kwick 3-4' behind a jet diver. watch those that are hooking fish and when in rome ...on the Umpqua I would find a place to back bounce a shrimp cocktail. there should be plenty of water that is accessible with a prop with the higher flows.

T
Thuggin4Life
Thanks guys. Anyone care to expand the regs on the umpqua,willamette below the falls, and columbia around portland.